From Biographical Memoirs of Huntington County, 1901, pages 739-740
John Johnson, ex-trustee of Rock Creek township and a well-known agriculturist of Huntington county, Indiana, was born in Linn county, Iowa, January 18, 1854, to Mathias and Mary (White) Johnson. His paternal grandparents, Anthony and Barbara Johnson, came to New York from across the waters, their native home being Mentz, Germany. After remaining in New York for a number of years they located in Stark county, Ohio, where he worked at his trade of carpentering and cabinet-making until his death. Of the five children born to them, Mathias Johnson was one. He was born in the Fatherland and came to this country with his parents. He had learned the trade of a shoemaker, and was also a cook, but later took up the occupation of farming, and in 1852 moved from Ohio to the west, locating on eighty acres of the rich lowlands on the Cedar river in Linn county, Iowa, his farm being part of the present site of Cedar Rapids, the beautiful city whose thrifty and tidy appearance has gained for it the sobriquet of the Parlor City. He cleared much of the timber from this land, but remained there only three years, as the county was sparsely settled and gave little hint of the rich future in store for it. Disposing of his land, he returned to Stark county, Ohio, and there purchased a farm, upon which he lived until 1863, when he came to this county and purchased his present home in Union township. He is a member of the German Reformed church. Of the seven children born to him, five are living: Anthony resides in Markle, this county; Augustus is also a resident of Huntington county; John, our subject; Edward, a citizen of Fort Wayne; and Theodore, who is a practicing physician in New York City.
John Johnson was married September 12, 1875, to Miss Catherine Kline, daughter of Henry Kline, of Union township, a substantial and influential citizen of the county. Five children blessed their marriage, as follows: Emery, who has gone to seek his fortune on the broad prairies of North Dakota, where he is engaged in farming; Ella; Clementine; Bertha; James, at home; and Henry, whose lamp of life was extinguished here on earth in 1891, to shine with increased brilliancy in the world on high. For eleven years after his marriage Mr. Johnson farmed in Union township, and then purchased forty acres of land, selling it later and moving to Huntington county, in 1888, when he bought the farm formerly owned by J. J. Scotton. It contains one hundred and seventy acres, one hundred and thirty-five of which are under cultivation. In addition to this he owns a small farm of thirty-two acres in Wabash county, and is one of the prosperous and influential men of Huntington county. Mr. Johnson is a Democrat in politics and served as trustee of Rock Creek township from 1895 to 1900, giving a most satisfactory service and showing an ability to manage the finances of the township which redounded greatly to the public good. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.