"History of Huntington County, Indiana"1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 589
Ora E. Roberts. He whose name initiates this paragraph has secure vantage-place as one of the representative farmers of his native county, and the general appearance of his attractive homestead farm gives patent evidence of thrift and prosperity. His farm is situated in Jefferson township, Huntington county, and on the old homestead farm of his parents, in Section 12 of the same township, his birth occurred on the 23rd of November, 1877. He is a son of William W. and Sarah E. (Morris) Roberts, who now reside in Warren, this county, and who are numbered among the highly esteemed pioneer citizens of Huntington county, the father having been long and prominently identified with the promotion of the agricultural industry in this favored section of the state. Of the four children three are now living: Lillie E. is the wife of Jonas E. Mason, of Noblesville, this state; Ora E. is the immediate subject of this review, and Orva M., who likewise is a substantial farmer of Jefferson township, married Miss Delilah Brubaker.
Ora E. Roberts was about one year old at the time of the family removal to the farm now owned by George S. Morris, and after three years removal was made to the present Roberts farm, the east half of the northwest quarter of Section 28, Jefferson township. Mr. Roberts was reared to the sturdy discipline of the home farm and early began to gain practical experience that has been of inestimable value to him in his independent operations as an agriculturist and stock-grower. As a boy and youth he attended the district schools during the winter months, when his services were not requisition in connection with the work of the home farm, and he remained with his parents until the time of his marriage, since which he has been aligned as one of the progressive and successful farmers of his native county. In politics Mr. Roberts is a stanch prohibitionist and votes in accord with his inviolable convictions, though he has had no desire for public office. He and his wife are members of the Wesleyan Methodist church, in which they are actively identified with Plummer Chapel, in Jefferson township.
On May 6, 1899, the holy bonds of wedlock united the life destinies of Mr. Roberts and Miss Laura B. Smethers, who was born and reared in Huntington county, and who is a daughter of John A. and Eliza (Cecil) Smethers. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts have two children-Marcus D., who was born August 8, 1904, and who is now attending the district school; and Hester D., who was born March 10, 1914.