John Overholt, an old and honored citizen of Huntington County, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, September 26, 1827. He was the fifth in a family of six sons and three daughters, born to Joseph [Joseph Overholt was born in Bucks County, Pa.] and Barbara (Kline) Overholt, both natives of Pennsylvania, of German descent. When John was yet a young child his parents removed to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and some six or eight years later they removed to Stark County, Ohio, where John spent his youth working upon his fatherâ€™s farm. After he became of age he worked for a few years upon a farm by the day and month. Just before his twenty-fifth birthday, or September 23, 1852, he was married to Theresa Younkman, a native of Stark County, Ohio, born July 23, 1831. She was the sixth in a family of eleven children, ten of whom lived to be grown, and nine of whom are still living. The parents of Mrs. Overholt were Daniel and Magdalena (Swank) Younkman, the former of whom was born upon the Atlantic Ocean while his parents were emigrating to America. The latter was born in Huntington County, Pa. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Overholt resided upon a farm in Stark County, Ohio, four years. They then came to this County, arriving October 18, 1856. They located upon a tract of land in Warren Township, where Mr. Overholt pursued the vocation of a farmer, until the spring of 1881, since which time he and his wife have been residents of Huntington. They have had born to them seven children: Daniel J., Adeline M., Rebecca E., Silas A., Emma E., Mary A., and Cora C., all of whom are living except Silas A., who died in the fourth year of his age, and Cora C., who died when but five months old. Our subject and his wife are members of the Evangelical Church. In politics the former is a Democrat. He had scarcely gained his residence in Warrant Township, when his fellow citizens elected him to the office of Clerk of the township, which office he resigned to accept the office of Township Assessor. To this latter office he was re-elected seven times, and afterward filled the office by appointment one year. He then retired, having served in the capacity of Assessor, in all, fifteen years. As an official he discharged his duties to the complete satisfaction of the public, evidence of which is found in the fact that his constituents refused for so long, to allow him to retire. Besides a comfortable property of Webster Street, he owns a good farm in Jackson Township, which he purchased in August, 1881.
History Huntington County, Indiana (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Biosketches of Huntingtonâ€”City and Townhisp, page 525.