"History of Huntington County, Indiana"1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 587-89
Edward T. Young. Numbered among the younger generation of agriculturists who are advancing the interests of Huntington county through their intelligent management and well-directed activities is found Edward T. Young, a worthy representative of a respected family and a progressive farmer and stock raiser of Jefferson township. Mr. Young was born on the farm on which he now lives May 11, 1883, and is a son of the late Dr. Edward T. and Amanda (Kindler) Young.
Dr. Edward T. Young was one of the men who have left the impress of their lives and labors indelibly upon the history of Huntington county. He was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, December 14, 1827, his parents being Edward and Rachel (Miller) Young, the former of Irish and the latter of German ancestry. Edward Young went to Ohio at an early day, settling in Fairfield county, where he purchased a farm, to the cultivation of which he devoted the remaining years of his life. Both he and his wife attained advanced years, he passing away at the age of eighty-one years, while she was ninety-seven years old at the time of her demise. They were the parents of ten children, as follows: David, Margaret, John, James, William, Enos, Thomas, Elizabeth, Mary and Edward T. Doctor Young spent his boyhood days on his father's farm, and when he was a lad attended the common schools, the sessions being held in a little log schoolhouse kept up by subscription. During those early days, the scholars were put to work cutting the wood with which the room was heated, and the teacher boarded around at the different homes a stated period, according to the number of children there were attending school from each family. At the age of twenty-one years Doctor Young rented the home farm, which he conducted successfully for two years, and in 1854, in company with his brother, Enos Young, he purchased 480 acres of wild timberland in Jefferson township, Huntington county, Indiana. In addition to the land being covered with timber, a great deal of it was under water, but in spite of all these handicaps he moved his family to this locality in November, 1854, and here he took up his residence, determined to establish and maintain a good home. In coming to this county, the distance of some 300 miles was made by wagon and the roads, axle-deep with mud, wound round through the woods, making the journey a most difficult one, it consuming nine days. A short stop was made in Warren, the town at that time boasting of two business establishments, a blacksmith shop, which was conducted by L.E. Ewart, and a general store run by Myron Smith. On reaching the land in Jefferson township, the family quickly erected a small log cabin, into which they moved. Subsequently the numerous cracks in the cabin were chinked and the windows were covered with sawed boards in order that the winter might be passed in this crude home as comfortably as possible. The winter proved an exceptionally hard one, and the little party of settlers faced and overcame numerous hardships and privations, but never did hey complain nor think of returning to Ohio. Doctor Young was possessed of some money, and he at once began clearing a portion of his land, and by spring had an acre cleared and ready to plant in corn. From that time forward his success was assured, and the farm today is one of the finest and most productive to be found in the county, the primitive home having long since been replaced by a commodious modern residence and substantial barns and outbuildings.
Doctor Young was married in the spring of 1853, in Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Rodaheifer, whose parents were Virginians and migrated to Fairfield county, Ohio, among the earliest settlers. Three children were born to this union, of whom two died in infancy, the other, Lillie M., being now the wife of Isaac Smith, a substantial farmer of Jefferson township, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Young passed away in 1875, and the doctor later married Amanda J. Kindler, who was also born in Fairfield county, but had been a resident of Huntington county, Indiana, for many years. One son was born to this union; Edward T., of whom more later.
Prior to coming to Indiana, Doctor Young had studied medicine with an uncle in Ohio, and after locating in Huntington county he purchased books and continued his studies. There was much sickness in this vicinity at the time, with a physician no nearer than Warren, and Doctor Young began to be called upon to treat his neighbors. In this way he gradually built up a practice that extended all over the township, and his reputation steadily grew, while he won a firm place in the hearts and gratitude of the people. At one time he had made up his mind to locate in some town to engage in the practice of his calling, but when his neighbors and numerous friends heard of his decision they protested and finally prevailed upon him to remain. He sacrificed his ambition to their wishes, and continued in active practice until 1897. Doctor Young was reared a democrat, but when he "began to think for himself" (as he often expressed it) he transferred his allegiance to the republican party. He was elected trustee of Jefferson township, a position in which he displayed marked ability and was able to do much to further his township's interests, particularly in the way of educational facilities. He and Mrs. Young were consistent members of the Presbyterian church, which they attended at Marion. When Doctor Young passed away on March 21, 1904, his community lost a man who in every avenue of life's activities had never failed in his duty to his community, his fellowman and himself.
The only son of his parents, Edward T. Young was reared on the home farm in Jefferson township and secured a liberal education in the district schools. His entire career has been devoted to agricultural pursuits, and at this time he is the owner of 230 acres of well tilled land with excellent buildings and improvements, which he is making pay in full measure for the labor he expends upon it. He is progressive in his business ideas and methods, believes in the use of modern inventions and appliances, and is the owner of a late model Reo automobile, which he uses both for pleasure and for business. Politically he is a republican but has never taken a prominent part in public life.
Mr. Young was married February 28, 1906, to Miss Anna Hart, born in Huntington county, a daughter of Frank Hart, and to this union there has come one daughter: Bernice, who was born May 13, 1913.