"History of Huntington County, Indiana"1914 By Frank S. Bash pg.593-95
Solomon F. Johnson. The Johnson stock farm, of Salamonie township, located two miles north and one mile east of Warren, has for a number of years borne a high reputation among the live stock interests of Huntington county. It is noted as a breeding farm for Guernsey cattle, Shropshire sheep and Duroc hogs, and its owner has jealously guarded the substantial reputation of his stock, and as a result there are few men in the county who have upheld the standards of the stock business more uniformly. Mr. Johnsonâ€™s farm is one of the best kept and managed in Huntington county, and its proprietor is thoroughly versed in his present profession. From the highway his farm impresses a traveler as one of more than ordinary good management, and besides the comfortable residence, the barns, sheds and feed lots, one feature that proves the modern spirit of enterprise is the fine silo, and a number of other first-class improvements might be cited as an evidence of Mr. Johnsonâ€™s enterprise.
For a number of years Mr. Johnson was identified with education in both Huntington and Wells counties, and the success associated with his name as a teacher has been continued in his present vocation. Solomon F. Johnson was born on a farm in Salamonie township in April, 1863, a son of Solomon and Margaret (Wright) Johnson. His mother was born in West Virginia and his father in North Carolina, they were married in the east, and came to Huntington county at an early day, settling in Salamonie township, which continued to be their residence the remainder of their lives. They came to this county comparatively poor, but lived to enjoy a reasonable degree of comfort and prosperity and did well by their children. The father was an elder and quite prominent in the work of the church. Of the nine children six are still living, namely: Levi, of Wells county; George, of Wells county; Albert, of Wells county; William, of Huntington county; Sarah J., wife of Eli Cox, of Wells county; and Solomon F.
The district school which supplied Mr. Johnsonâ€™s early training and with which his first associations of school life are connected was known as the Swamp school, and he later attended the Wells county Normal and Valparaiso College, taking the normal courses in preparation for his work as a teacher. For seventeen years Mr. Johnson was one of the capable instructors of the young in Wells and Huntington counties, and all of his work was done in the district schools. In that time he had charge of schools with enrollment running from fifty to eighty-seven pupils, and there are hundreds of these pupils now active men and women who remember with much gratitude his kindly and helpful services as a teacher during their youth. On leaving the work of the schoolroom Mr. Johnson spent four years in the S.A. Pulse store at Warren.
Mr. Johnson married Hattie B. (Mallow) Van Camp. She was a daughter of H.M. Mallow, and by her marriage to Mr. Van Camp has one daughter, Ruby, a student in the Warren high school. Mrs. Johnson received her education in the common schools and is a graduate of the Warren high school. Mr. Johnson affiliates with King Lodge No. 246, A.F. & A.M., and with Salamonie Lodge No. 392, I.O.O.F., and also with the Encampment. He is a Past Grand Patriarch of the Odd Fellows and both he and his wife are members of the Lodge of Rebekahs of which she is a Past Grand. In politics he has always been a Democrat, and quite active in local and county party affairs.