John S. Morris, an influential citizen, is a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, born October 4, 1819, being the third in a family of six children born to Richard and Catharine (Schoch) Morris, who were natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania respectively; the former died when our subject was quite young. After that he was reared, until he attained the age of fifteen, by his grandfather. He, at that age, commenced lifeâ€™s battle for himself by engaging as a farm hand, which vocation he pursued until nineteen years of age, when, for several years, he was occupied with divers pursuits, emigrating to Indiana and Adams County in 1839, where he entered 120 acres of land. He remained a resident about one year, removing thence to Allen County, staying there until 1846. He had, for some time prior to the latter date, been engaged in operating a saw-mill for Mayor Edsell, at Ft. Wayne. Upon coming to Huntington County, he located at the Forks of the Wabash, and entered the employ of John Lewis, operating a saw-mill for him, continuing with him until June, 1849, when his marriage with Mary J. T. Carnett was solemnized. He immediately removed to Loon Creek, and entered into partnership with Amos E. Richardson, erecting a saw-mill on the banks of that stream, which they continued until 1864, when they disposed of their mill and removed to what is now Andrews, having sometime prior erected a steam mill at that place. About one year later Mr. Richardson retired, Thomas King purchased his interest in the business. A short time subsequent Abraham Leedy bought Mr. Kingâ€™s share. A little over a year after, John Kenower secured Mr. Leedyâ€™s interest. They continued to operate the mill until 1872, when Mr. Eli Jones purchased the business for an interval of one year. Mr. Morris was not engaged in any particular business. In 1873, in company with James B. Calloway and C. E. Briant he bought the factory of Morgan & Davenport. Shortly after Mr. Galloway retired and the business was conducted for two years under the firm name of Morris & Briant. November 18, 1875, Mr. G. W. Bell purchased Mr. Briantâ€™s interest, and the business has since been conducted under the name of J. S. Morris & Co. They manufacture staves, heading, shingles, lumber and fencing. They are doing quite an extensive business. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Morris nine children have been born, of whom these six are now living: Mary L., wife of Vandorne Vandoring Root; Viola, now Mrs. T. Mills; Benjamin T., Maxwell P., Dessie and Letta. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also belongs to the Masonic and I.O.O.F. fraternities.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Biographical sketches of Dallas Township, pages 630 and 631.