Search for content in message boards

Jesse I. Buzzard

Replies: 0

Jesse I. Buzzard

Posted: 2 Apr 2002 10:05AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 6:29PM GMT
"History of Huntington County, Indiana"1914 By Frank S. Bash pg. 689

Jesse I. Buzzard. One of the prominent farming men of Lancaster township is Jesse I. Buzzard, proprietor of the Sugar Grove Farm, formerly known as the George Buzzard Farm, situated some four miles south of Huntington, Indiana, on the Lancaster gravel road. The place is one of about one hundred and six acres, and it was the birthplace of its present owner.

Jesse I. Buzzard was born here on January 24, 1859, and is a son of George and Amanda (Shamblin) Buzzard. The father was a son of John Buzzard, who came with his family to Wayne township, this county, on March 8, 1835, settling on the southeast quarter of section 12. He came from Ohio, his native state, and spent his remaining days in Huntington county. George Buzzard, his son, was reared in that township, was there married, and came to Lancaster township and settled on the farm his son now occupies remaining there to the end of his life. He was the father of a family of four sons and three daughters. The four sons are yet living. They are John S., of Huntington; George B., of Warren, Indiana; Charles H., also of Huntington, and Jesse I., of this review.

Jesse I. Buzzard was reared to manhood in this community, he here having his schooling in the district schools of the township, and when he reached man's estate he married Susan L. Beal, on December 11, 1880. She was born in Lancaster township, on March 28, 1864, and was educated in the common schools.

To Mr. and Mrs. Buzzard six children were born: Elizabeth is a graduate of the common schools and is the wife of J. A. Buzzard, of Huntington township; Earl married Bessie Case and lives in the city of Huntington; Homer A. married Ethel Havens, of Huntington township; Dorothea is still attending school; and Vernon and Herman are both deceased.

Mr. and Mrs. Buzzard are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Greenwood, and politically Mr. Buzzard is a loyal Democrat, active in the work of the party in local circles. He was at one time candidate for the office of sheriff of Huntington county.

General farming occupies the attention of Mr. Buzzard and his hundred and six acres affords him ample scope for the exercise of his energies along the agricultural line. He is popular among his fellow men, and is known for an honest and honorable man wherever he goes, and with his family has a wide circle of stanch friends in the county that has been his lifelong home.

Find a board about a specific topic