Oliver N. Snider, dealer in general merchandise, Harlansburgh, is a native of Huntington County, IN, born in Polk Township on the 5th day of December, 1854. He is the eldest son of John and Mary (Fisher) Snider, natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Ohio, who were among the early pioneers of Huntington County, moving here when the country was in almost a wilderness state. He enjoyed such educational advantages as were afforded by the common schools, but such was his progress in his various studies that he early obtained a teacher’s license, and followed the profession of teaching for a period of seven years. In addition to teaching he was variously employed, buying and shipping produce, soliciting and collection for the medical firm of G. & H. Rundle, of Pickaway, Ohio, and a part of the time acting as traveling solicitor for the publishing house of Rand, McNally & Co., of Chicago. In 1883, he purchased the mercantile establishment of Karst & Hollett, at Harlansburgh, and since that time has been doing a very prosperous business. He has a fine stock of merchandise, keeping all articles demanded by the general trade, and by honorable dealing has already succeeded in attracting a large and substantial class of customers. Mr. Snider’s marriage with Miss Lida J. Randolph, daughter of Rhodes and Mary J. (Fish) Randolph, was solemnized June 24, 1886. Mrs. Snider was born in Shelby Co., OH, March 24, 1861, and accompanied her parents to Huntington County in the fall of 1863. Mr. Snider is a Republican in politics, and with his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Biographical sketches of Lancaster Township. Pages 724 & 725.