John A. Iry, one of the most enterprising and substantial merchants of Andrews, is a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, born April 10, 1832, the third in a family of five children born to Peter and Sarah (Miller) Iry, who were natives of Cumberland County, PA, and Augusta Co., VA, respectively. The former is still living at the exceptionally old age of eighty-three years, making his home with his daughter, Mrs. McConnel, of Wells County, and still retains a great deal of his mental and physical vigor. Our immediate subject grew to manhood in his native State, receiving, for those days, a common school education. At the age of eighteen he engaged to learn the carpenter’s trade. In 1856, he emigrated to this county, in which he has, with the exception of a few years spent in Allen County, since resided. He first located at Mahon, and for a number of years, or until 1872, was engaged in divers pursuits, principally carpentering and contracting. In November, 1872 he embarked in his present business, which he has made a success. He enjoys a good, remunerative trade, doing an annual business of about $10,000. May 21, 1857, he was united in marriage with Esther M. Scott, by whom he is the father of three living children. James W., who married Alice Young, Catherine M., now Mrs. Nelson McClure, and Annie H. December 31, 1883, Mr. Iry suffered the bereavement of losing his beloved wife. February, 1865, he entered the service of his country, serving until the close of the war. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Politically he is a Republican, and has been honored with an election to several municipal offices.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Biographical sketches of Dallas Township. Pages 623/4.