James P. Plummer, a prominent farmer of Dallas Township, is a native of Richmond, Wayne County, where he was born August 17, 1842, the third in a family of four children born to John T. and Sarah O. (Peirce[as spelled]) Plummer, who were natives of Montgomery Co., MD, and Portsmouth, NH, respectively, their marriage occurring at Bristol, PA, November 15, 1837, moving soon after to Richmond, where they lived until their death. Our immediate subject was reared in a native town, receiving a common education, such as the subscriptions schools of those days afforded. He served a two years and nine months’ apprenticeship learning to be a mill-wright, after which he engaged in work at the carpenter’s trade, which he followed for a number of years, when in 1871, he removed to Huntington County, of which they have almost continuously remained residents. May 20, 1869, his marriage with Margaret A., daughter of Joseph E. Moore, was solemnized, and to their union these six children have been born: Anna M., Emma S., Arthur J., Lewis W., Joseph E., and Olive Auretta E. Since 1871, he has made farming his principal occupation, in connection with which he has worked some at the carpenter’s trade. He and his wife are members of that branch of the Friend’s Church, known as Hickites. He has pronounced temperance views, and is a strong advocate of the principles of the Prohibition party.
History of Huntington County, Indiana. (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Biographical sketches of Dallas Township. Page 631.