Dr. Joseph Scott, a prominent physician and pioneer of Rock Creek Township, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Cumberland Co., October 8, 1824, the oldest son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Walters) Scott. The doctor when nine years of age was taken by his parents to Massillon, OH, where he grew to manhood, and where he enjoyed superior educational advantages, taking an academic course in one of the best schools in the State. He assisted his father on the farm until his twentieth year, at which time, 1844, he began reading medicine with Dr. Perkins Wallace, under whose instructions he continued for a period of four years. Actuated by a laudable desire to increase his knowledge of the profession, the doctor in the winter of 1846-7, attended a course of lectures at Cleveland, OH, working his way through the college, having been early obliged to rely entirely upon his own resources. He attended the same institution the following winter, and in the spring of 1848 came to Huntington County, IN, and began the practice of his profession in the town of Huntington where he remained for a period of two years. At the end of that time he located on the north bank of the Wabash River, Rock Creek Township, erecting a house on the present site of Markle, hence was the first actual settler of that beautiful and flourishing little village. At that time the country was very sparsely settled, and the doctor being too poor to own a horse was obliged to make his professional rounds on foot, meeting with many interesting as well as startling experiences during the first two or three yearsâ€™ residence in the new country. On the 22d of January, 1852, he married Miss Susan Griffith, who was born in Perry County, OH, January 10, 1828. She was the daughter of Jesse and Catherine (Miller) Griffith, of Pennsylvania. At the time of his marriage the doctor was in very straitened circumstances, and states that he was obliged to borrow the money necessary to pay for the license and settle with the â€œsquireâ€ who performed the ceremony. For a period of six years he was the only physician and surgeon in Markle, during which time he succeeded in establishing a very extensive practice throughout the southern part of Huntington and the portions of Grant and Wells counties. This practice he has since commanded and is justly entitled to the reputation of one of the most skillful and successful medical men of this part of the State. He has been a close student and a man of great physical endurance, as is attested by the fact that he is still in good health, although broken somewhat on account of exposure. He has in addition to his professional duties taken an active interest in local politics, being one of the leaders of the Republican party in the town and township where he resides. In 1857 he was appointed Postmaster of Markle, and held the office for ten years, when the compensation amounted to but 75 cents per quarter. Was appointed again in 1882, but resigned the office a short time after the election of President Cleveland. The Doctor was made a Mason in 1851, and at this time stands high in the order, being a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the Council. He belongs to the I.O.O.F. also, being one of the oldest members of that order in Huntington County.
History of Huntington County, Indiana (Brant & Fuller: Chicago) 1887. Rock Creek Township Biographies. Page 782/3