Search for content in message boards

Walton Family in Carmi, Illinois- Mysterious family

Replies: 4

Walton Family in Carmi, Illinois- Mysterious family

Posted: 1424239543000
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 1424247194000
Surnames: Walton
I descend from James Enoch Walton who lived in Carmi, Illinois in the 1800s. His DOB was in 1828, I do not have an exact date. He died 18 Nov 1886 in Carmi, and he left a little boy named Chester orphaned, because his mother had died a few years earlier. Her name was Mary Elizabeth Tucker (then Trusty and then Walton). Chester was then adopted by a man named Austin Callicott. I do not know what relation Austin was to Chester, but whatever happened to Chester destroyed him, he grew up to be a very mean man and all his kids hated him, ran away from home and didnt ever look back. Chester moved off to Louisiana with the railroad and met Susan Roarke, who, I guess tolerated his meanness. Anyway... I am looking for more info on who was James Enoch's father. I found one record where he's named as Nimrod Walton, and that Susan Pears is Nimrod's wife. But there is nothing more on Nimrod, anywhere at all. I know James Enoch Walton served in the 48th regiment in the Civil War. He survived it, not many did. I dont know anything else.

Anyone local have anything that might help? I know James Enoch was not born in Carmi. According to Census records he was born in Kentucky. I wonder if his father came with him to Illinois or stayed in Kentucky? What should I do/order to lead me toward the next generation up the Walton line? James Enoch had other kids too, with a wife whose name was also Mary but we dont know her maiden name, but they had 6 kids. Not sure why one of them wouldnt claim Chester and raise him. Why did he have to go to Mr Callicott? Maybe theres a file somewhere in Carmi that talks about why Chester didnt go to a sibling. A sort of Child Services case, maybe?
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TWaltonBolyar... 1424239543000 
LRoberts1694 1424353467000 
TWaltonBolyar... 1424378849000 
LRoberts1694 1478453595000 
LRoberts1694 1485365902000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic