Search for content in message boards

Adoption in the News?

Replies: 1

Adoption in the News?

Posted: 1459988957000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gerke, Bartholomew, Briner
My Great Grandmother, Elizabeth, was adopted. It was a big family secret, and only because I happened to take a good look at the 1880 census and later found her death certificate, was I able to confirm the information.

According to records, she was born in 1873 in Quincy, Adams, Illinois. Her birth father may have been an Edward Bartholomew.

I cannot find ANYTHING. I've exhausted all my options, getting help looking for every record under the sun. I'm waiting for the DNA results to see if I can at least pinpoint where we are from.

Anyway, she was adopted somewhere around 1873 before the 1880 census was done. She was adopted by Anthony and Elizabeth Briner, who lived in the 1870s in Jo Daviess County and in 1880, Stephenson County, most specifically Jefferson Township, where it looked like there were a few other children in the census that had also been adopted.

Does anyone have any ideas on places I could look for adoptions, or know if there was any kind of orphan train, illnesses or such that went through the area of that time? I'm really at a loss and would appreciate any help. I was thinking there would be some newspaper articles at the time, but really have no idea.

Sara
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sara_Gerke 1459988957000 
judyartley261... 1462989595000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic