Search for content in message boards

Wynn, Winn, Winne, Winney

Replies: 0

Wynn, Winn, Winne, Winney

Posted: 1468788289000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1468788536000
Surnames: Wynn, Winn, Winne, Winney, Costello, Cady, Lamb
After many years of brick walls, I am trying again to piece together my paternal 2nd great-grandparents.

I am John M Wynn, son of:
Gloria Elliott and Richard John Wynn, he the son of;
Mary Magdalena Smith and Richard John Wynn, he the son of;
Margaret Costello and Richard Wynn, both of whom were born in Ireland.
This Richard Wynn is shown on census and other records as "Winn", tho all of his children went by "Wynn."

The father of this Richard is unknown. There are several ship records with similar names and close dates, but nothing certain. I do know that he was married to an Elizabeth, born about 1790, who is listed on the 1860 census in Hallock Township, Peoria County, with son Richard and his family.

Recently expanding my research, I've discovered there was an Ann Winn, born 1829, Ireland, who married John Cady, and had sons James, John, Thomas and George. After marriage, they lived in the city of Peoria.

There was also a Hugh Winne, born 1830, in Fermangh, Northern Ireland, who married Bridgit Lamb in 1858 and Margaret Walsh, in 1876. His first marriage produced children Thomas, Mary Ellen, Charles, James, Margaret and Ann; and the second marriage gave him John and Margaret, all of whom continued to use the last name of Winne. He is found mostly in Millbrook Township, Peoria County.

Richard Wynn, my great-grandfather, born about 1834, in Ireland, had, with wife Margaret Costello, these children; William, Elizabeth, Edward, John, Richard J, George and Margaret. They lived in Truro/Knox, Hallock/Peoria, La Prairie/Marshall and Milo/Bureau.

All of the above persons have connections to southern Stark, northern Peoria and western Marshall counties.

It would appear that the above Ann Winn, Hugh Winne and Richard Wynn could be siblings, the children of the unknown "Wynn" and Elizabeth.

To complicate matters, there is also a Hugh Winn, born about 1830, in Ireland, who married Margaret Shanahan, in Peoria, in 1858, who had children Mary, Ellen, James, Margaret, Thomas and Hugh.

One Ancestry tree says that the unknown "Wynn" was Hugh Winney, born 1795, in Fermangh, with an unknown wife and parents. On Find-A-Grave, there is a Hugh Winney, born 1742, buried in County Fermangh, Northern Ireland, who could be the father of the 1795 Hugh Winney.

The ship records I found, all are for a George Winn, born about 1799, in Ireland.

Should anyone have information on the parents of Ann Winn, who married John Cady, or Hugh Winne, who married Bridget Lamb and Margaret Walsh, or Hugh Winn, who married Margaret Shanahan, I would be most interested and forever grateful.

Find a board about a specific topic