Search for content in message boards

BUCKLEY family of England then Illinois and Iowa

Replies: 2

BUCKLEY family of England then Illinois and Iowa

Posted: 1352933751000
Classification: Query
Surnames: BUCKLEY RICE DUNKERLY SMITH MCCONEGEY OLDHAM
I have myself stumped in trying to trace my Buckley family lineage. I am hoping to reach someone with connections to this family and its descendants, or perhaps a local resident that can help me uncover some new information.

What I do know is this:
Mary BUCKLEY (b. ~1864, Rock Island, Illinois) is my great-great grandmother. She married Merrills Cleveland RICE (~1861, Illinois) in June of 1884 in Jasper County, Iowa. The couple and their children later moved to Aberdeen, Grays Harbor, Washington.

I’ve found a marriage record where her parents are listed as Robt. BUCKLEY (b. ~1826) and Sallie DUNKERLY (b. ~1829). I’ve found a Robert and Jullie BUCKLEY in 1870 living in Fairview Township, Jasper County, and this record shows they had both emigrated from England. (Looking at a copy of the original, I am convinced the “Jullie” is in fact Sallie and is misinterpreted to due to poor handwriting.) This same 1870 record shows the first three children, Samuel (~1852), Melina (~1854), and James (~1856) were born in England. Martha (~1859) and Mary were born in Illinois. I believe the family lived in the Rock Island area in the 1860’s until eventually moving to Iowa.

In 1880, I am almost certain I have found the same family, however Robert’s spouse is now listed as Margret. He has a step-daughter living with them named Edna J. OLDHAM (b. 1867, Iowa), and another son, Robert (~1873, Iowa). This makes me wonder if his first wife, Sallie (or Sadie in some records) had passed away, or were they divorced? Or is Sallie’s middle name Margret? Where does the step-daughter come in?

I’ve found Robert and Margret living together in Jasper County in later censuses (both state and federal) up to 1900. Perhaps they passed away sometime after 1900, but I have been unable to find death records or more importantly, obituaries.

I’ve also found marriage records of the children (or at least I think they are a match):
James S. BUCKLEY married Mattey MCCONEGEY in September of 1880.
Robert BUCKLEY married Jennie SMITH in 1896.

Any help or leads you can find would be most helpful! I feel like if I know for certain more of the details of this family, I can begin searching further into the past (England). But I can’t go much further until then. I will post more information if I find anything.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
peters_willia... 1352933751000 
PaSain 1355802997000 
Carla Kline 1504295670000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic