Search for content in message boards

Orin Lewis (1803 NY – 1884 IA) - McHenry County, ILLINOIS

Replies: 0

Orin Lewis (1803 NY – 1884 IA) - McHenry County, ILLINOIS

Posted: 1459720612000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis
Good afternoon all,

Looking for anything and everything on Orin Lewis! Trying to put together a very comprehensive account of him from when he left New York with his family, as he traveled from New York through Illinois finally settling in Iowa.
The Ancestry.com family trees have his two marriages and children with birth years and birth states only. Can’t find any primary evidence on exact birth dates and birthplaces…no references to vital records or bibles, etc.
And his marriages... Ancestry.com family trees have him marrying (1) Elizabeth “Betsey” Nichols and (2) her younger sister Nancy Nichols. But what I found was Orin was also married to “Mary Butler.” Mary is my direct line ancestor. Orin and Mary married about 1849 as they are in the 1850 census with Orin’s children and Mary’s children with a comment that they were married within the year. After that I lose track of Mary.
I’m trying to find information on Mary also.
Whatever information you can add that will paint a clearer picture or fill in the blanks will be greatly appreciated! I would love to see primary evidence, vital records, land records, etc. If you are related to this family please reach out to me! If you live in these areas and are willing to do a look-up or two, it would be greatly, greatly appreciated!
Best regards,
Eric A. Johnson, California (varnivarni@aol.com)
---------------------------------------------------
1803 – Orin born in New York. Can’t find record.
Ca 1829 – Orin married Betsey Nichols. Can’t find record.
Ca 1830 to ca 1839. Orin and Betsey’s children born in New York. Volney, William, Robert, Charles, Harriet. Can’t find any records.
1840 – US Federal Census. The only place that matches the family’s ages are at Petersburg, Renselaer Co, New York. This is not confirmed!
1843 - Orin purchased property in McHenry Co, Illinois. Two land patents for a total of 80 acres.
1843 – Orin’s wife, Betsey, died. I cannot find a record of her death. Some Ancestry.com family trees have her dying in Quasqueton, Buchanan Co, Iowa. I don’t believe this is correct. Maybe her body was transferred there from Illinois at a later time?
Ca 1849 – Orin married, secondly, Mary Butler. Her children were James Wilson, Benjamin Butler, and Mary Butler.
1850 – US Federal Census. Orin’s wife, Mary, and families (Lewis’s, Wilson, and Butler’s) are listed in Caledonia, Boone Co, Illinois.
1851 – Orin purchased property in Boone Co, Illinois. Land patent for 40 acres.
1852 – Orin’s daughter, Volney, died. I cannot find a record of her death. She is shown as buried in Quasqueton, Buchanan Co, Iowa.
1852 – Orin purchased property in Buchanan Co, Iowa. Land patent for 40 acres.
1852 – Orin is listed in the Iowa State Census, Washington, Buchanan Co, Iowa. (Wife’s name not listed).
Ca 1854 – Orin married, thirdly, Nancy Nichols. This is approximate as the 1856 Iowa State Census has her as being in the state for two years.
1856 – Orin is listed in the Iowa State Census, Liberty Twp, Buchanan Co, Iowa. (Nancy’s name listed).
1860 – US Federal Census – Liberty Twp, Buchanan Co, Iowa.
1862 – IRS Tax Assessment – Quasqueton, Buchanan Co, Iowa.
1864 – IRS Tax Assessment – Quasqueton, Buchanan Co, Iowa.
1870 – US Federal Census – Liberty Twp, Buchanan Co, Iowa.
1880 – US Federal Census – Liberty Twp, Buchanan Co, Iowa.
1883 – Last Will and Testament.
1884 – Orin died on 1 June. (Per Ancestry.com family trees. Can’t find record).

Cheers!!

Find a board about a specific topic