Search for content in message boards

HUTCHINSON, Emma Ann

Replies: 3

Re: HUTCHINSON, Emma Ann

Posted: 1506739863000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1506907170000
Surnames: Hutchinson, Hutchison, Logan, Funk, Rodehafer, Myers, Gardner, Groves, Miller, Lidey, McGinnis, Siler
The short answer is that I don't know for certain who their parents were. The long answer is that I know some members of a family of Fairfield County, Ohio Hutchinsons with, it is said, eleven siblings in all. I do not have a complete list and would like to know if anyone can add to it. The parents were James Hutchinson and Margaret Logan, according to their daughter Margaret. (Hutchinson and Hutchison are used fairly interchangeably in the early records.)

From "A Brief History of Bishop Henry Funck and Other Funk Pioneers" by Abraham Fretz: "Abraham Funk, bn. in Augusta Co., Va., Oct. 23, 1819. Mrd. Margaret Hutchinson, daughter of James and Margaret (Logan) Hutchinson." They later moved to LaSalle Co and Livingston Co, Illinois. Their oldest son was James Hutchinson Funk, born 1842 in Fairfield County, who later became a state legislator in Iowa; the others were Nancy, David Andrew, Christian, Mary E., William Albert [mine], Rhoda A., Warren Logan, Sarah Alice, and Arthur Augustus. According to the "Portrait and Biographical Album of Livingston County," "Mr. Funk married Miss Margaret Hutchinson, who was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, on the 10th of May, 1822, and was the youngest in a family of eleven children born to James and Margaret (Logan) Hutchinson, natives of Huntingdon County, Pa. James Hutchinson was a soldier in the War of 1812, and one of the very earliest settlers of Ohio." (There is a James Hutchinson listed among the War of 1812 companies from Fairfield Co.)

Two others who are definitely their children are 1) Sarah Hutchinson, b. 9 Jan 1813, d. 17 Jun 1841, who married David Rodehafer 23 Apr 1840 in Fairfield Co. She is buried at Bethel Cemetery, Bremen, Fairfield, and her gravestone says that she was the daughter of James and Margaret Hutchinson. Only child died in infancy, and Sarah soon after. 2) Elizabeth Hutchinson, b. 5 Aug 1820, Rush Creek Twp, Fairfield, d. 21 Sep 1879, buried Bethel Cemetery, Bremen, Fairfield; wife of Francis Myers, one son, William J. Myers. According to "A Biographical Record of Fairfield County, Ohio," Francis married "Miss Elizabeth Hutchinson. She was born in Rush Creek township in 1820 and was a daughter of James and Margaret Hutchinson, who removed from Virginia to Ohio in 1818, taking up their abode near Salem [in Walnut Twp, I think] and after a short time locating in Rush Creek township, where the mother of our subject was born." (They may well have come through Virginia, but most evidence suggests they started out in Pennsylvania, and probably earlier than 1818 if the War of 1812 service is correct.)

I also believe William Hutchinson of Lancaster, Fairfield Co, was one of theirs. His death certificate gives his father as James, although no mother is named. He was b. 31 Jul 1818 in Fairfield Co, d. 27 Feb 1892, Lancaster, Fairfield Co, buried Forest Rose Cem, Lancaster. Married Mary A. Gardner, no children.

I also think that David and John Hutchinson of Reading Twp, Perry Co, Ohio, and later of Lawrence Co, Illinois, belonged to this family, mostly on the grounds that in the 1850 census Abraham and Margaret (Hutchinson) Funk had apparently the same John Hutchison living with them (the census was taken 6 Sep and he was married 9 Sep but they were in the same community so I suppose that works). It seems plausible that he was her brother. Since David and John seemed to move together, it seems likely that David is also a brother. David is also one of the names Margaret used for her children, most of which she did not get from the Funk side. But I can't definitively say they weren't just cousins.

John married Mary Ann Groves in September 1850 and lived in Lawrence Co, Illinois. John was b. 23 Jul 1810, in Ohio according to the 1850 census, and d. 17 Sep 1877, buried Leach Cem, Lawrence Co, IL. Children Sarah, Emma, William Albert.

David was b. 3 Mar 1803 in Pennsylvania and d. 10 Nov 1879 in Lawrence Co. He married 1) Elizabeth Miller, who died in 1841 in Perry Co, Ohio, with four children that I am aware of: John W., Joseph Theodore, James, and Margaret. (The 1840 Perry Co census suggests more, but they may not all have been his own.) He married 2) Rachel Lidey (was this name from a first marriage?), with children Daniel, Sarah, Catherine, Elizabeth, William, Samuel, David, Franklin, and George.

"James, Jr." as he is indexed in one of the land records, birthdate about 1805, who married Ann/Anna McGinnis, is presumably theirs as well. He and Ann are seen in 1835 in Fairfield Co. selling Ann's inherited land to John Lightle (Deed book X, 393.) Her father William McGinnis was owed money at the time of his death from someone in Huntingdon Co, PA, where James Hutchinson is said to have come from. James and Ann moved to Findlay Township, Hancock Co, OH, where he d. 14 Jul 1835. His widow was Ann Hutchinson who signed later papers as Ann Evans, and there were two minor children, William and James. The probate papers include expenses for "traveling to Perry and Fairfield counties," unfinished financial transactions with William and David Hutchinson, and a land deed between John and Delilah Lightle "of Fairfield county" and James Hutchinson "of Hancock county." The widow Ann later married Abner Evans.

Assuming they are the same as the Perry Co ones, It would appear that David Hutchinson had also bought some land in Hancock Co, and John owned some too, although I am not sure if they actually lived there. David and John both sold to George Wagner in 1840 (4, 118.)

I have heard mentioned but do not know about a Delilah Hutchinson in Fairfield Co who married John Lytle, children Mary and Elias; John then remarried Delilah McGinnis and went to Hancock Co also. Naming her son Elias is suggestive of the Elias Hutchinson who passed through Licking Co. around that time, but I have not seen her named among his children, and he was in Washington Twp in the north of Licking Co. But the McGinnis and Hutchinson families were closer geographically, seem to have that Huntingdon Co., PA connection, and daughter Mary later said her mother was b. in Ohio, while most of the Elias daughters were b. in Ontario. Delilah is not a name that is echoed among the younger generation.

There is also a Nancy Hutchinson who married Jacob Siler in 1815 in Franklin Twp, southern Licking Co., but I don't know more about her. Perhaps no connection.

Of "Edmon Hutchison," who was in the Walnut Twp census, Fairfield Co, in 1830, I also know very little. He may be the Edmund Hutchinson who married in 1824 in Pickaway Co, and/or in 1832 in Ross Co. An Edmund is found among the personal property tax lists in Thorn Twp, Perry Co, in 1829, and then in Walnut Twp, Fairfield Co in 1830. Perhaps no connection.

Of the parents little is clear. James never seems to have been a landowner. The only Hutchinson household in Fairfield Co in the 1820 census is headed by Nancy, a woman "45 and over," in Rush Creek--impossible to tell if she is a widowed mother or perhaps a grandmother. The Rush Creek census was taken 7 Aug 1820, two days after Elizabeth's supposed birthdate, yet James doesn't appear. Nancy is a head of household as late as 1826, when she is taxed for personal property at Rush Creek. The next year she is not in the tax lists, but a James Hutchison is. It is hard to be sure if they were part of the same family or two separate ones.

My impression of the tax records is that James Sr. stayed in Rush Creek until 1829, then was in Thorn Twp, Perry Co in 1830 and 1831, then possibly was not around after that. There is a James Hutchison in the Thorn Twp, Perry Co census in 1830, age between 50 and 60, which seems too old to be James Jr. (and even for James Sr. the presence of children younger than Margaret is perplexing.) But the James who is taxed on personal property in Rush Creek Twp in 1831 and 1833 seems to coincide with the activities of James Jr. in selling land there, so perhaps that is the younger James.

James Hutchins, the shoemaker from Delaware, who in the 1850 Fairfield Co census is called Hutchinson, appears to be a red herring.

William Hutchinson in the 1880 census thought his father was born in Ireland; others say both parents were born in Pennsylvania.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rsprgv94 925905600000 
bmushrush1 1010563459000 
bmushrush1 1186284535000 
Eileen Funk 1506739863000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic