Search for content in message boards

Matthews Family

Replies: 11

Re: Matthews Family

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 7:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Matthews, Hargreaves, Hall, McClory
My guess is that there is a cousin-ship in there someplace because William, John, and Frances (or -cis) are in my Matthews family names. My grandmother's middle name was Frances as was my father's (middle) name. William John Matthews had a sister by the name of Frances Matthews (McClory), too. I haven't been able to find any brothers of John W. Matthews, but it would surprise me if relatives didn't also come over. My great Grandfather William John Matthews was an only son (7 sisters-hence all the surnames in my first post - didn't read the instructions) and left Forest Lake for Wood County, Wisconsin sometime between 1902 and 1904. I don't know why. His wife was Harriet Ann Hargreaves who died young in 1910. Their oldest daughter took off, and my grandmother took care of her siblings for the next 10 years. Harriet Ann Hargreaves' parents were married at Trinity Hurdsfield near Maccelsfield, Cheshire, England. I have the marriage record of Harriet's parents John W. Hargreaves and Martha Hall and have found Hargreaves (baptism records) there but no Matthews. I have found other related Hargreaves in the Chicago area. Harriet Ann Hargreaves was born in Southport, England. Like you, I have had difficulty with the common Matthews name both in the US and in England. If you find any connection, please let me know. I am closer (Minnesota) than you are and have been to Forest Lake and could go back if necessary.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
opadiah 9 Mar 2012 5:31PM GMT 
wellsc1 9 Mar 2012 6:03PM GMT 
dorie548 14 Mar 2012 9:33PM GMT 
wellsc1 15 Mar 2012 4:38PM GMT 
Alan Winegard... 10 Mar 2012 4:08AM GMT 
opadiah 10 Mar 2012 5:13AM GMT 
Alan Winegard... 10 Mar 2012 2:44PM GMT 
opadiah 11 Mar 2012 12:32AM GMT 
Alan Winegard... 11 Mar 2012 4:30AM GMT 
wellsc1 11 Mar 2012 4:54PM GMT 
per page