Search for content in message boards

John M. Tonsor and Franz Tonsor

Replies: 1

John M. Tonsor and Franz Tonsor

Posted: 1457970111000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tonsor
Hello,
I'm James Drainer and Franz Tonsor is my twice great grandfather. My mother was a Tonsor. I was wondering if you know the relationship between Johann Meinoph Tonsor and Franz Tonsor? Do you know how Carolina Tonsor Bunse is related to them? I found this in the History of Madison County, published in 1882, with regard to a John M Tonsor.
Taking high rank among business men of Alton, is John M. Tonsor. He was born Oct 5th, 1827, in Furstenberg, Prussia. His father for whom he is named, was a farmer in humble circumstances. In the troubles which thrilled all of Germany in 1848, and which are popularly spoken of as the revolution of that year, Mr. Tonsor was an active participant. In common with thousands of his fellow-men, he sought a home in freedom-loving America shortly after the troubles. He crossed the Atlantic the vessel "Louisiana" landing in new orleans in 1850. Two years thereafter he came to Alton, where he has since resided. For three years he was engaged as a teamster by c company manufacturing lime, then bought a team and drove his own dray. From this humble beginning he laid by sufficient to become a liquor merchant, which he did in 1864. Mr. Tonsor has ever been so ardent, active Democrat. His first vote was cast for James Buchanan, in 1856. For five years he was a member of the City Council. Ever since the adoption of township organization in this country, he has been a member of the county board of supervisors, a position he has worthily filled, and whose duties he has most faithfully discharged. he has also been a member of the Board of trustees of North Alton ever since its organization. He is a member of the masonic, Old Fellows, German Benevolent turner and other orders. Mr. Tonsor has been married twice: first, to Mary Ann Maxinal, June 23rd, 1855, by whom he had three sons, Henry, John, and Charles. She died July 29, 1864. His present wife's Mary Ann Boosa, to whom he was married December 20, 1864. By here has had one child living, Bertha by name. Physically, mr. Tonsor is a large and powerfully-built man. His proportions make him a conspicuous personage in public assemblies. His sound judgement on all questions of general interest receives universal recognition.
Giving what I know know about Franz and according to my great grandfather, John Tonsor's obituary (Franz son), Franz came over with 4 children (I know of Wilheminia Tonsor Becker and John) but I'm having trouble finding the other two. I'm also not sure how many children Franz had (did he have more than 4 and the 4 that came over were his youngest? Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
j_drainer 1457970111000 
thomasker2 1484744645000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic