Search for content in message boards

Hugh Yourd's Sons: Yourd, Yuard, Euwer, Uerr

Replies: 2

Re: Hugh Yourd's Sons: Yourd, Yuard, Euwer, Uerr

Posted: 1501186785000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yourd, Wilson, Marshall, Andrews, Harris, Maynard, Stewart
Judy, Hopeful...but yes, by all accounts but one, Hugh Yourd had no children. In the early 1960s Robert Wilson Yourd, a minister, (1884-1964). wrote, "Regarding Hugh Yourd who went west and was not heard from, my mother, Mrs. Samuel Yourd (Cannie Anderson Wilson), met a son of his in Topeka, Kansas. Later in Topeka, I preached in the First United Presbyterian Church once, and a man came and told me of meeting my mother. He said there were two of them. He went by the name of Yourd but his brother had taken the old name. They were sons of Hugh but I do not know their names." Robert Wilson Yourd was a grand-nephew of Hugh Yourd (1835-1912), who went west and is known to have been in Burlington, Iowa for a few months 1859-1860; Sparta, Illinois; enrolled for duty 1861 and was in Carrollton, Illinois when he mustered in to military service 1862; Springfield, Illinois when he mustered out of the army 1865; Jerseyville, Illinois c. 1865;and Atkins, Pope County, Arkansas for 2 or 3 years before going to Boone County, Arkansas... and Kansas: The U.S. General Land Office Records, Land Office at Wichita, Kansas, show Hugh Yourd 1 November 1873 Sedgwick County, Section 28, T26S R002W Lot/Tract 1, 138.91 total acres, Sale-Cash Entry. Perhaps descendants of the two men in Kansas who reported being sons of Hugh Yourd will find our messages.

As for having never been heard from again, Marshall relatives in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, had an old letter written during the Civil War by a soldier in Arkansas, "from H. Yourd to his nephew John Andrews" who was going to school then. It concluded with "respects to your grandfather and grandmother and mother and father." The contents were mostly good wishes and nothing of substance.

William Harris, a Marshall-Yourd relative, had an obituary for Hugh Yourd in his possession in 1969 when he wrote the following: "I especially want to call your attention to the account of Hugh Yourd. I well remember Minerva and Elmira [Marshall] as the actual senders and Aunt Sarah and my mother collecting things ... clothing and things ... to send to Aunt Hannah (Hannah Wood Maynard Stewart Yourd) for the poor people in the Ozarks. They all maintained that the Ozark people were so poor they went in their bare feet mostly and would carry their shoes to church, putting them on before going in. The point is, what do you know of the folks out west? They were always talking about Aunt Hannah. When I was about eight or ten years old, she sent me a match box containing cotton in various stages from seed to full-grown balls, for school. I had it for very many years.
"... death notice for Hugh Yourd---'After a lingering illness of a year, Hugh Yourd is dead at his home near Kennel, Arkansas where he had lived since the Civil War. He was born on the Yourd homestead, near Sandy Creek, Penn Township, January 31, 1934, being a son of Archibald and Mary Yourd, pioneer settlers of Sandy Creek. In his youth he joined the Wilkinsburg Reformed Presbyterian Church. Going west to engage in agriculture, he was living in Illinois at the outbreak of the Civil War, and enlisted in the Tenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, later becoming a clerk to Captain Ihre. After peace was declared, he settled on a farm at Kennel, and there married Miss Hannah Woods (sic). He always was active in church work among the mountaineers and a prominent citizen. Surviving are his widow and one sister, Mrs. Jane Marshall, residing on the old homestead at Sandy Creek and the only one of 12 children now alive. The funeral and interment were held at Harrison, Arkansas, Tuesday."

Thanks for your response!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sherryk180 1498444584000 
judyartley261... 1501179094000 
sherryk180 1501186785000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic