Search for content in message boards

Great-Grandmother

Replies: 3

Re: Great-Grandmother

Posted: 1481238785000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1481243139000
Elender Green Griffith is my great great grandmother. The Greens came from Kentucky. They located in a township outside of Shelbyville Illinois near the Griffiths on Jordan creek. There is a cemetery there near what once was the John Griffith homestead. It was once known as Griffith Cemetery because the land was donated by John Griffith who homesteaded the section approx 1830. Early history said that his is son Joseph Griffith was the first to be buried there. there is no marker for him but several field stones note old grave sites one of which could be his. 25 to thirty years later he cemetery took the name of the Church that was built there in the 1860's Oak Grove https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3817651,-88.7340277,201a,20y... . Many Greens are buried there as well as many Griffiths and early area pioneers . Ellen was the youngest of 15 children born to Abigail and William Green. There is a bible page from the Green descendants that list all her and siblings birth death etc. Some are more documented than others in family trees. Her brother Nicholas moved to Fayette co just down the road to a settlement called Bob Doane. It was once a flourishing village with a blacksmith shop a race track, cooper shop, grocery and several houses. All that is left now is the Cemetery. Abigail and William must have traveled with Nicholas to this area they are both buried in Bob Doane cemetery. Nicholas ended up in Kansas and all of his family and descendants are there except for a small son Daniel who is buried next to his grandparents in Bob Doane. There is no recorded location or date of death for Ellen and John. They were both listed on a the shelby co census 1880 Holland township and on a tax record I found in the Shelby county genealogy historical archives ( the old jail house) believe the date was 1887 or 88 living in the village of Mode but after that nothing. I believe they are buried in Bob Doane or closer to where they were living Union cemetery in Mode. they have grandchildren buried in the late 1800's in both cemeteries. I think most likely they are in Union Cemetery in Mode. but no record of death for either one of them or obituary has ever been found.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Sherry Sloan Ellison 942494400000 
delgarland 1101703754000 
MVacala 1459557450000 
jannie500 1481238785000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic