Search for content in message boards

Willam GLADVILLE / HOOVER late 1870s

Replies: 1

Willam GLADVILLE / HOOVER late 1870s

Posted: 1471393301000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gladville, Hoover, Pifer
I would really like to solve a mystery in the family tree regarding a William HOOVER / GLADVILLE, born about 1878/9, probably in Cumberland County.

Dr. William Henry GLADVILLE, born in Virginia, married Margaret Jane PIFER in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1855. Per his obituary, they emigrated to Cumberland County, Illinois, circa 1864, and were there until the late 1870s, when they moved to Bruce, in Moultrie County (where Margaret had family, many PIFERs there).

Margaret is a sister to my great-great grandfather, which is where my interest lays.

In the 1880 Census, there is a William HOOVER, listed as a 2 year old grandson in their home. At first glance, he would seem to be the son of Olive Blanche GLADVILLE, who married Jacob E. HOOVER in Clark County, Illinois, in 1874, and who seem to have settled in Cumberland County - at least Jacob is found there in the 1880 Census. Olive is not, which suggests she died and the Gladvilles took William in, right?

I have found two small problems with that.

One, the two seem to have had a son named William Edward HOOVER, born in 1876, in Cumberland County. There is a death record for him which identifies Olive and Jacob as his parents. "Eddie" is found with Jacob in the 1880 Census, and he's a bit too old to be the William with the Gladvilles, but it's odd to have two sons with the same name.

Two, there is a mention in the Toledo Democrat newspaper fixing Olive's death date as February 28, 1878, assuming the date written on the printout I saw is right. Unfortunately, I have no death or burial record of Olive Blanche, and no idea where her remains are, so I am a bit unclear when she died. But William Hoover seems to have been born later than that.

There is no further mention of William Hoover in any records I've seen, but lots of records of a Will Gladville at around the same age. He was with A.R. PIFER in 1900, a nephew to Margaret. Alonzo Rozet PIFER ran a pharmacy in Lovington, and I have seen a clipping mentioning Will as going to Chicago to further his studies. He did register for the draft for WWI in Chicago, giving his profession as pharmacist, and listing his DOB as July 23, 1879. He married, became a land developer, and made a fortune up there. There is a street in Homewood, Illinois, named after him.

Several records say that he is the son, not grandson, of the Gladvilles.

I am inclined to believe grandson because of the 1880 Census. There is a "William Hoover" and no "Will Gladville" there. But the dates, and the presence of a brother with the same first name, give me some doubt.

It seems Cumberland County didn't start collecting birth records until 1885 from what I can see, so I don't know if a birth record exists. But I am hoping someone down there may know something, about either William or his mother.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Brian_90 1471393301000 
thomasker2 1471524509000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic