Search for content in message boards

Deed of John W. and Sarah A. Mitchell to John Holmes, Crawford Co, IL, 1857

Replies: 1

Deed of John W. and Sarah A. Mitchell to John Holmes, Crawford Co, IL, 1857

Posted: 1338827703000
Classification: Deed
Surnames: Holmes, Mitchell, Grovis, Johnson, Grove
This indenture made this 2nd day of November in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred and fifty seven, by and between JOHN W. MITCHELL and SARAH A. MITCHELL his wife of the County of Crawford and State of Illinois party of the first part. Witnesseth, that the said parties of the first part for and in consideration of the sum of four hundred dollars to them paid, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged do grant, bargain, sell, convey and confirm unto the said party of the second part to his heirs and assigns a certain tract or parcel of land, with the appurtenances thereunto belonging, lying and being in the County of Crawford and State of Illinois, described as follows (to wit) the south west quarter of the north east quarter of Section five 5 in Township seven 7 north of Range thirteen west. To have and to hold the aforesaid premises to the said party of the second part, his heirs and assigns to them and their use and behoof forever, and the said parties of the first part, do hereby for themselves and their heirs, executors and administrators, covenant with the said party of the second part, his heirs and assigns, that they are lawfully seized in fee simple of the above granted premises, that they are free from incumbrances, that they have good right to sell and convey the same to the said party of the second part, and that they and their heirs and executors and administrators, will warrant and defend the said tract or parcel of land, to the said party of the second part, his heirs and assigns forever: against the lawful claims and demands of all persons. In witness whereof the said parties of the first part have hereunto set their hands and seals on the day and year first above written.
HOARCE GROVE J.W. MITCHELL
LUCINDA JOHNSON

State of Illinois, Crawford County.
I HORACE GROVIS a Justice of the Peace in and for said County do hereby certify that the above named JOHN W. MITCHELL and SARAH A. MITCHELL his wife who are personally known to me to be the persons whose names are subscribed to the foregoing deed, as having executed the same this day in their person come before me and acknowledged that they signed, sealed and delivered the said deed for the uses and purposes therein mentioned, and the said SARAH A. MITCHELL wife of the said JOHN W. MITCHELL having been made fully acquainted with the contents of this deed and by me examined separate and apart from her said husband declared that she signed and acknowledged said deed and relinquished her dower in and to the lands thereby conveyed freely, willingly and without compulsion of her said husband. In testimony whereof I have hereto set my hand and seal this 2nd day of November A.D. 1857.
HORACE GROVIS J.P.

SOURCE: Crawford County, Illinois, Land Deeds, Book K, p. 359, Grantor: John W. Mitchell, Grantee: John Holmes, Listed in Book A, 1816-1859, 2 Nov 1857.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CindyMcC 1338827703000 
JMcAnally5258 1516857570000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic