Search for content in message boards

Arlington Murder 1878 News article or/ and obit Elizabeth Cullenbine Sheehan

Replies: 3

Re: Arlington Murder 1878 News article or/ and obit Elizabeth Cullenbine Sheehan

Posted: 1483247271000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1483247389000
Hi Doris,

I did find a news article, but it was made difficult because I was searching for the murder of an Elizabeth CULLENBINE SHEEHAN. I found the murder of Miss Elizabeth CULLENBINE.

Daily Register
Rockford, Illinois
Monday, May 27, 1878, page 2

HUMAN FIENDS
They Develop all Over the Country Committing Horrible Crimes.

THE ARLINGTON HORROR.

Mendota, Ill., May 26. -- The residents of the little town of Arlington, nine miles west of here, were fearfully excited this evening over a most horrible murder that was committed there about 5:30 o'clock. It appears that one Sam Carney, who was paying his addresses to a Miss Elizabeth Cullenbine, both residing at Arlington, was refused permission to remain at her house last night. He returned this afternoon and had an interview as usual with the young lady up-stairs. After a short time the report of a pistol was heard, followed by screams from up stairs. Mr. Cullenbine, rushing up to the scene, met the murderer of his daughter running down-stairs, who also fired at him, the ball taking effect in his hip. The assassin came upon Mrs. Cullenbine, whom he attacked with a butcher knife. A barber, being attracted to the scene by the screams, was next fired upon, but without injury to him. The murderer then drew a razor from his pocket and deliberately cut his own throat, and died almost instantly. The unfortunate young lady scarcely survived her murderer, but her father and mother, it is thought will recover.

---- This article makes it seem as though she survived the attack: "the unfortunate young lady scarcely survived...". But her info on findagrave gives her name as Elizabeth CULLENBINE SHEEHAN.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ur2funE 1483203602000 
bethrau1 1483247271000 
ur2funE 1483250779000 
bethrau1 1483300957000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic