Search for content in message boards

Albert Bayliss

Replies: 1

Re: Albert Bayliss

Posted: 1425941428000
Classification: Query
My name is Carol Burns Ettlinger. Albert Bayliss was a friend and neighbor of my family in Shoshone. It is interesting that I came across your message.

Last evening I was pursuing history of Shoshone on internet and came across a listing of people buried at the Shoshone Cemetery. I was disturbed when I came across Albert's name and saw the notation, "no stone". Today I began thinking of some way to see that a stone is placed on his grave. I looked up "Albert Bayliss, Shoshone, Idaho, obituary", and came to your message.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide to you the dates of his birth and death. I do know he was in a Boer War; after Albert's wife passed away, my mother frequently invited him over for Sunday dinner. Afterwards we would gather in the living room and Albert would tell stories of the war. I was quite young then and never stayed awake. When I told my husband about Albert and his stories he was disappointed that I didn't recall much of them. I hope someone in your family has a better memory of them.

I remember him restoring children's toys, painting them in bright colors, loading them in his covered pick-up truck and taking them to the orphanage in Boise. We called him their Santa Claus. Albert was a great fixer and generous with his ability. When my bicycle chain broke, my mother would say, "Take it over to Albert", and he would cheerfully go about the repair.

Albert and your family were very kind to my parents. I have some letters my mother wrote to me when I was in college that describes their kindnesses. If you provide an address, I will be very pleased to send copies of them. Evidently Albert was at our house one day when my mother was writing to me because he wrote at the top, "It sure is lonesome around here without you". that was soon after I had gone to Portland. When I read that, I would have happily returned home.

My e-mail address is, cmbett1@comcast.net. and mailing address, 111 Fair Street, Carmel, NY 10512. I hope to hear from you.

Sincerely, Carol Ettlionger
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Rose Bayliss 1084943349000 
Carol Ettling... 1425941428000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic