Search for content in message boards

LaRee Hayes Kunz (1932-2017) Obituary

Replies: 0

LaRee Hayes Kunz (1932-2017) Obituary

Posted: 1514669129000
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Kunz, Hayes, Rasmussen
News-Examiner, 12/30/17

LaRee Hayes Kunz was born on January 10th, 1932 around 5:00pm in her parent’s home on Stringtown Road in Georgetown, Idaho. The place which DeLoy presently has his home. LaRee weighed about 5 pounds. She was the sixth child born to Wilford Hayes and Emma Althea Rasmussen Hayes. Her siblings included Leola Lenora, Edna Idena, Iona, Jennie and Wilford. LaRee was born at the time of the depression and it is said that grandpa traded a gallon can of cream for a can of SMA to feed her since she was a fussy eater. Their home was a modest and happy home. Her parents saw that they had plenty to eat and clothes to wear. They were taught to pray and do what was right. LaRee’s three older sisters took good care of her. Her neice, VerJean and two nephews, Darrell and Dallas who were about the same age and grew up together. They all played hide and seek, kick the can, fox and geese, sleigh riding, jump rope, jacks and play school. For entertainment, they would cut paper dolls from an old catalog. Wilford farmed and Althea was a great homemaker. LaRee loved to ride on the hay ride or mower with grandpa. When LaRee was 12 years old, her sister Iona died and left a 3 year old boy and a 3 month old baby girl for her parents to care for. LaRee recalls having to grow up then and help in taking care of them. She would get up in the night to warm the baby’s bottle, but it taught her to care for her own home and family.

LaRee attended school in Georgetown, Idaho and graduated as the Valedictorian in 1950. Her favorite subjects were Arithmetic and English. LaRee played the saxophone in the band and was a member of the Pep Club and Glee.

LaRee met Harvey Kunz her senior year of high school. They dated for some time and then were married the following autumn on September 20th, 1950 Idaho Falls Idaho temple. They had four boys, Kevin, Brent, Jody and DeLoy. LaRee enjoyed being a mother and homemaker along with going to watch the boys in their school and church activities. Both Harvey and LaRee made sure they were loved, fed and clothed as well as taught right from wrong.

LaRee’s first job was working for her uncle at his grocery store where she learned to count change. Later on she was employed at King’s Variety store then as housekeeper at the Bear Lake Memorial Hospital for over 20 years. LaRee had many hobbies to keep her hands busy. She took great pride in her canning and was always very satisfied to see that all of her jars were filled with vegetables from her garden, homegrown raspberries or produce purchased from their annual trip to the fruit stands in Brigham City, Utah. It gave her great pleasure to see her canning bottles all full and lining the shelves in the basement knowing that it was there to eat through the coming winter. She won many blue ribbons at the county fair for her canning. LaRee spent many hours crocheting or quilt making. She had the talent of playing the accordion and the piano as well.

LaRee was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and served in many callings from Organist in her early years, to Cub Scout Den mother, Young Women’s President and teacher as well as Relief Society Visiting Teacher. She was a member of the American War Mothers, and an active member of The Daughters of TheUtah Pioneers. She had been a member of the DUP for over 50 years and still was at the time of her passing.

In her own words: My greatest rewards in life are spending time with my family. We’ve enjoyed many Christmas parties together along with picnics up to Summit View or out to Bear Lake. I’ve enjoyed my marriage to Harvey, our four boys and their accomplishments along with their spouses, children and great-grandchildren. I love them all dearly. (My grand-daughters are the girls I never had.) I love them all!

LaRee is survived by her husband Harvey Howard of over 67 years, sons Brent W (Sandra), Jody Howard, DeLoy Kay (Stephanie), grandkids and great-grandkids. She was preceded in death by her parents Wilford and Althea, all of her siblings and one son, Kevin Harvey Kunz.

Viewing
Friday December 29, 2017 10:30 AM
Georgetown LDS Church

Funeral
Friday December 29, 2017 1:00 PM
Georgetown LDS Chapel

Find a board about a specific topic