Search for content in message boards

Lupenui Family in Ka'u, Big Island

Replies: 18

Re: Lupenui Family in Ka'u, Big Island

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 1:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Amanda. Bottom line first. I looked over your posted family trees and it appears you have all the right beginnings for your research. The main problem is your distance to where the information will be, but I think you can get past that. I would recommend you do all you can to find the basic information, then travel to the Big Island for some research. I was there in March, it is a beautiful place. Perhaps you can find a cousin to stay with while there, and then also do your interviews.

Names:
First, the ‘ in the names you presented is called the Okina, The ‘okina looks like an inverted comma and indicates a break "similar to the sound between the oh's in the English oh-oh" according to Pukui and Elbert's Hawaiian Dictionary. As an example is the proper pronounciation of the name "Hawai‘i "
Vowels marked with kahakōs are always stressed and held somewhat longer than other vowels. These would include the vowels, a,e,i,o,u all with a line over the top.

To type the Okina: On your keyboard, click on the "Num Lock." Then hold down your "Alt" key while you type 0 (Zero), 1, 4, 5. Then release. The Okina will then be typed where your cursor as placed.

Meaning of names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_name

I see this is only the third posting you have made on the Rootsweb system. When you post, it is important to provide some critical information for your readers. There "might" be family members that find your posting, but more than likely it will be read by a volunteer. Just as I had added to another one of your postings, if you have an online family tree, post the link:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17540626/person/523545368?ssr...=
This helps those volunteers that don't look at your other postings or do any research. It also helps any family members seeing your posting to see exactly to whom you are referring.
If you don't have a posted tree on a person you seek, post their full names and date of birth. If the name is unique, most volunteers would be able to find them. But on common names (and is helpful on all names), post enough information: This is of course their full name, DOB and place of birth. If you don't have their DOB, post as accurate of an estimate as you can (was 24 when enlisted in World War II in 1942, graduated high school in 1950, etc). Post the name of their wife, parents, children, or other information that really helps find the exact person. A John Brown, born in 1935 would be almost impossible to find without some other information.

As to your family, I am a bit concerned on the name of "Kaikuahine" Waiale`e. Kaikuahine is what a boy (Kaikuane-brother) would call his sister "Kaikuahine." But, it does appear to be correct.

To start in genealogy, consider this a crime scene and you have a "body," in this case Mary Nani Lupenui. You want to find the "suspects" that were related to her. So first you start with her. Find out everything you can about her. First interview and document information from everyone that knew her, these would be her family members. Talk to, or write to her children, grand children. Find out what information they may have. They may have her obituary, her husband's obituary, they may have photographs. These photographs might be at her home, which would show where she lived. They might have old holiday/birthday cards with letters. Ask them also about themselves and document what they say about themselves and how/where they lived. Document all the stories. As example, Mary would have been 21 when Pearl Harbor was bombed. If she lived on the Big Island, she may not have known, but she might have told stories about what she did and how she felt.

Then if you haven't, obtain her obituary. Find out where she is buried. Her obituary might identify the funeral home handling the service. Write to the cemetery for their information. Write to the funeral home. Do this same thing for her and William.

Your tree does show reference to the 1920 Census for William K. B. Waialee. He was living as Brother-in-law to Joseph H. Poai, but this does not identify, of course, if William was the husband of a sister to Joseph, or to Joseph's wife Kahala, age 38. Williams own wife had passed, as he is sown as a widower. He is able to read and write.

The World War I Draft Registration card image database also shows him. It shows he was born at Papaikou on January 14, 1890, as you identified. He was a contractor with the Richard Contractor Co. in Honolulu. He was married with a wife and a child. The 1920 Census showed William was able to read and write, but this is probably done in the handwriting of the registrar.

Here is the obituary of his sister, Sybil:
Sybil Nani Medeiros
July 15, 2007
Sybil Nani Medeiros, 63, of Hilo, a homemaker, died in Hilo Medical Center. She was born in Hilo. She is survived by son Russell S.; daughters Shermane N. Padamada and Sandralynn N. Amaral; stepdaughters Helen Pak, Audrey Medeiros and Marsha Roer; brother William Waialee; sister Lillian Kaumoana; 12 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Services: 7 p.m. Friday at Dodo Mortuary, Hilo. Call after 6 p.m. Additional services: 10 a.m. Saturday at the mortuary. Call after 9 a.m. Burial to follow at Hawaii Veterans Cemetery No. 2. Aloha attire.
--This gives you the names of her children, if you didn't already know. They may have stories or information about William and Mary. I do find you have another family tree that includes this information:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17540626/person/532621795?ssr...
There is also a private family tree found on Ancestry, owned by sandralynnhilo that includes your family. I would suggest contacting her. She may have more/different information; and might be able to help you if she lives at Hilo.

You may have already found this website:
http://hawaiigenealogy.com/
It might give you a start as to what reference materials are available. You don't have to be there to read some of the books. You can obtain them to read at your own library via the Interlibrary loan system. There are Historical Societies that might help "BUT" be careful of those and anyone else charging for research. I have helped some in the past having already paid for research. For one woman I helped, I found quite a bit of information for her in books in Seattle. She told me she had paid for the same research and the person had found nothing. Your posting here "might" get an interested person (Volunteer) to help that lives in Hawaii.

Vital Records: Hawaii is one of those States that has "privacy" laws. So, you could obtain the birth records for your GG Grandparents, but not their Death Certificates. DC's are a nice exhibit for a family collection, but they seldom offer much worth the payment.

General history of Ka`u:
http://www.pahala-hawaii.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?page=hist...;

Cultural history of the area:
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dofaw/nars/reserves/big-island/puumak...

Ron Bestrom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
amkpacheco 9 May 2011 6:25PM GMT 
judyartley261... 21 Dec 2011 4:39AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 22 Dec 2011 8:40PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 22 Dec 2011 8:37PM GMT 
amkpacheco 22 Dec 2011 10:59PM GMT 
ijoaquin1 20 Mar 2012 8:53PM GMT 
malialuika 24 May 2013 8:36AM GMT 
Lainaholo 1 Apr 2012 5:19PM GMT 
viccorpuz 30 Aug 2012 5:37AM GMT 
malialuika 24 May 2013 8:45AM GMT