Search for content in message boards

Info on JW Miller & Ollie Allen Miller of Oconee

Replies: 0

Info on JW Miller & Ollie Allen Miller of Oconee

Posted: 1434427657000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller, Allen
I have a challenge and today found a couple more pieces of the puzzle but am not sure where to turn next. I finally have information about the deaths of John William Miller (d. 11 Oct 1893) and his wife Ollie Allen Miller (d. 28 May 1910). Until sometime between 1880-1892, they lived in the part of Clarke County that is now Oconee County, where they married in 1865. JW Miller served in Company C of the 44th (Johnson Guards/Dole's Brigade). He lost his leg below the knee at the Battle of Cedar Creek. They are living in Watkinsville in 1880.

Sometime between 1880 and 1892 the couple moved to Bibb County and lived in Macon. In 1893, JW Miller died and the death notice says his body was sent back to Bishop in Oconee for interment. Ollie Miller then lived with her various children in Macon until her death in 1910. Her death notice says the same thing about being interred in Bishop, but also mentions that she will be buried in the family burial ground in Bishop (no cemetery name). I have a note from my grandmother that says they had family buried in the Huff Cemetery in Bishop, Georgia, but the book of interments for Oconee County that I found today doesn't have them in Huff Cemetery (although there are several Millers) or any other cemetery in Oconee County. I was sure it would be Huff Cemetery when I saw that they went back to Oconee for burial in the family cemetery.

Any ideas where I should turn next to find the record of their interments and possibly their siblings/parents? My one idea is to call some of the funeral homes in the area that existed in that time period. I have lots of info leading up to their deaths and have all of their children, but I don't have anything about their deaths or their parents. Would love any ideas of where to turn next (but I don't need anything on their descendents). Thanks!

Find a board about a specific topic