Search for content in message boards

Frances Drucilla Clark Pennington b 1859, d 1903

Replies: 2

Frances Drucilla Clark Pennington b 1859, d 1903

Posted: 6 Aug 2005 11:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark, Pennington, Griggs, Ivey, Gammage, Peavy, Summers, Coker
Can someone help with my ‘brick wall’? I am looking for parents or siblings of my great grandmother Frances Druscilla Clark Pennington.

She is variously listed as Francis, Fannie, Fanny, Druscilla or Dusella on official and family documents. According to her tombstone she was born April 12, 1858. The family believes she was born in Sumter Co., near Andersonville GA but it could have been in Macon or Peach or Houston or Dooly counties (or on planet Mars as I begin to think she arrived in Macon county to get married to my great grandfather fully grown!)

She married John Lafayette Pennington on January 4, 1877 in Macon Co. The family is found living in district 1070 of Macon County in the 1880 census taken 7 June. Near neighbors are the Kitchens family and JL’s brother‘s family Andrew Jackson Pennington (buried in Oglethorpe cemetery.)

She died Dec 31, 1903 probably in Sumter Co. as the family was living in district 993 in Sumter County in the 1900 census. She is buried in the Pennington family cemetery not far from the Pennington community in Sumter County district 993. She and John Lafeyette had 16 children, 11 of whom lived to adulthood, so this means lots of descendants! The children were Henry J, James M, Mattie Lou, John Bunyon, Seaborn Cleveland, Wm Gordon, Judson Harrison, Mary Lee, Fanny D, Claudia, Clyde, Charles Weslie, an unnamed infant, Clark, Clayton and Minnie Jewell. I have listed them in the order of their births (to my best knowledge) with their birth years ranging from 1877 to 1903. John Lafayette Pennington was a farmer and he died April 21, 1907. He is buried beside Fanny and their minor children who did not survive infancy. His family, the Pennington’s were (and still are) mainly found in Sumter and Macon counties (Americus, Andersonville and Oglethorpe areas) although family scions are scattered throughout the world, including me in Virginia. With the generous help of fellow Pennington researchers who are *not* from John Lafayette’s line, I have been able to trace my Pennington ancestors back several generations.

After John Lafayette died, his and Fanny’s minor children went to their older married siblings in Dooly county. They all went first to the household of Wm Gordon Pennington in Dooly County. After her marriage, my grandmother Mary Lee Pennington Griggs (m to William Clegg GRIGGS in 1909 Dooly County) raised Minnie Jewell in her home in Unadilla, GA. My great grandmother’s name sake, Fanny D married Clegg’s brother Robert Russell Griggs who also made his home in Unadilla. Many of the Pennington children remained in Dooly county and six of them are buried in Walnut cemetery in Unadilla and one other is buried in the cemetery in Pinehurst. Mattie Lou Pennington and Clyde Pennington each married husband’s named SUMMERS (not related) . Mattie Summers is buried in Oglethorpe cemetery in Oglethorpe, GA (Macon county) and Clyde Summers is buried in Evergreen cemetery in Perry GA (Houston county). Other in-laws are PEAVY (wife to Wm Gordon), IVEY (husband to Claude), GAMMAGE (wife to John Bunyon), COKER (wife to Seaborn Cleve). These are all established Macon, Dooly and Houston county family surnames.

There were several 2 yo & 12 yo possibilities for a Francis D Clark in the census documents in GA but none from nearby counties and my attempts to find a link from those girls' entires to my great grandmother have been unsuccessful. I think now it is going to take a family bible entry or some other family inside knowledge to get past this barrier. If you have knowledge of Francis D Clark’s background or even knowledge of one of these Pennington descendents who might know the answer, please contact me here or by email

Thanks in advance!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LWms0011 6 Aug 2005 5:51PM GMT 
Janet Penning... 9 Jul 2016 11:08PM GMT 
LWms0011 14 Jul 2016 3:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic