Search for content in message boards

LOOKUP Please..."Cemeteries in Harris County, GA"

Replies: 0

LOOKUP Please..."Cemeteries in Harris County, GA"

Posted: 1493858596000
Classification: Query
Surnames: WALKER/CALLAWAY
In the Newnan Herald, Jun 30, 1881 edition on page 3 is listed the death notice of "Mrs. Joel Walker." She died 26 Jun 1881. The only name I know is: Nancy C. Walker. In the death notice she died at home in West Point and is to be buried nearby in the Hopewell Methodist Church Cemetery. I have searched and researched the last 3 days using online sources for people buried in both the Old Hopewell Cemetery, Hopewell Cemetery, and Hopewell Methodist Cemetery without any results. Some research was older, not completed, and some of it said there were unmarked graves. I know this WALKER family was at least financially set enough they would have purchased a headstone...but no one knows for sure.

In the Newnan Herald, 11 Aug 1881 edition, page 3 is listed a death notice for "Infant WALKER," child of Mr. Joel WALKER. Joel W. WALKER and Nancy C. WALKER were married 9 Jan 1879...listed as Chambers County, AL, but I have a marriage notice in the same Newnan newspaper of 1879 that state Joel and Nancy were married at Joel's father Meriwether T. WALKER home in Troup County, GA.

The Meriwether WALKER, son Joel, and Meriwether's wife Julia WALKER owned land in Harris County, GA (Blue Spring area) and attested to by Georgia Property Tax Digests online. Meriwether and Joel owned buildings and a Dry Good store in West Point. Attested to by the notice in the Newnan newspaper they burned down in 1881.

I am searching Harris County, GA because they owned land in the county. I am unable to locate a burial in Hopewell Methodist Church Cemetery and it too is in Harris County, GA. I am desperately hoping someone has a cemetery listing, "somewhere" that may explain Nancy WALKER and infant child might be buried somewhere else in the county, another "Hopewell Methodist Church," or cemetery. According to a fine gentleman on a Troup County, GA list says no one by that name in cemeteries in Troup County. I even spoke with a Methodism historian in Troup County who said there was not a Hopewell Methodist Church at the time and the only one was in Harris County. Any help would be appreciated. I am at my wits end after 10 years.

Find a board about a specific topic