Search for content in message boards

Miller/Cornwell/Allen Descendant visiting Middletown

Replies: 2

Miller/Cornwell/Allen Descendant visiting Middletown

Posted: 1371007505000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller Cornwell Allen Bassett Barnes Harris Anthony
Hello there !
While I have just sent off an email to the Middlesex County Historical Society, thought I'd also put a note here too.

My name is Elizabeth and I'll be visiting the area starting late next week with my mother. Our family names in Middletown include Miller, Cornwell, Allen, Bassett, Harris, and Anthony. (more info below)

While we plan on visiting the research room at the Society and the cemeteries (seems there are several to visit for these families) I'd love any other ideas people might have for places to see or visit in the area would be most welcome. Are the cemeteries hard to find? Are maps available?

Please also see below regarding a family I don't believe is a first settler but is one of my trouble spots. (Anthony) Any and all help/suggestions appreciated there.

many thanks in advance,
Elizabeth

Quick version of family (as I'm sure much is familiar):

My ancestors include Thomas Miller who died in Middletown in 1680, his wife was Sarah Nettleton. Their son Benjamin married Mercy Bassett, daughter of John Bassett and Mercy Todd of New Haven. Their son Amos was born in Middletown 1713 and he married Abigail Cornwell, daughter of Joseph Cornwell and Abigail Harris and their son Ebenezer Miller married Thankful Allyn and removed to Litchfield.

Further to the above, Joseph Cornwell was born in Middleton circa 1679, son of John Cornwell and Martha Peck (daughter of Paul Peck, a founder of Hartford). John was the son of William Cornwell who died in Middletown in 1677/8.

Joseph Cornwell's wife Abigail Harris was the daughter of Daniel Harris (b 1653 in Middletown) and Abigail Barnes. He was the son of Daniel Harris and Mary Weld, who settled early in Middletown.

Thankful Allyn/Allen mentioned above was doubly an Allen, her father was Johnathan Allen (died Middletown 1783, son of Samuel Allen and Sarah Rust) and Elizabeth Allen who was the daughter of Thomas Allen (died Middletown 1733) and Hannah Leek. Thomas was the son of Obediah Allen (died Middleton 1712) and Elizabeth Sanford. Both sides have descent from Samuel Allen of Windsor CT.

And lastly, I descend from a lesser known family of Middletown, the Anthonys. Thomas Anthony and Abigail Hall were the parents of Samuel Anthony who was born in Middletown in 1754. According to his Revolutionary War records, he states that the family removed to Wallingford when he was a young boy from Middletown. He married Tryal Hitchcock Hotchkiss and they had a son Samuel. The family eventually moved to the Owego area of NY. I know little to nothing on this family and am stuck at Samuel and Thomas Anthony. I am hoping there may be some hint remaining in Middletown of this family...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
plinkmusic 1371007505000 
mejohnson16 1390174844000 
martygrover 1446818127000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic