Search for content in message boards

Brick Wall trying to verify Clark/Nichols 1772 marriage inLebanon

Replies: 2

Brick Wall trying to verify Clark/Nichols 1772 marriage inLebanon

Posted: 1519585777000
Classification: Query
Surnames: CLARK/NICHOLS
For decades a 1772 marriage has appeared in Trees for my 6th great uncle David Clark, son of Jonathan Clark and Mercy Dewey of Lebanon, New London. The bride is Hannah Nichols and the wedding took place 27 Oct 1772 in either Lebanon or Waterbury, which ever record you use.

I think this may be not MY David, but cannot prove it.

Here are the records, one which is in Waterbury and the other in Lebanon:

We find the following source for this marriage. Source Information
Ancestry.com. Connecticut, Town Marriage Records, pre-1870 (Barbour Collection) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data: White, Lorraine Cook, ed. The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records. Vol. 1-55. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1994-2002.

Name: David Clark
Marriage Date: 27 Oct 1772
Marriage Place: Waterbury, Connecticut, USA
Spouse: Hannah Nichols
Spouse Residence Place: Lebanon
Parent Name: Thos
[Thomas] 

Source Information
Ancestry.com. Early Connecticut Marriages [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
Original data: Bailey, Frederic W. Early Connecticut Marriages as Found on Ancient Church Records Prior to 1800. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1997.

Name: David Clarke
Spouse's Name: Hannah Nichols
Spouse Gender: Female
Marriage Date: 27 Oct 1772
Marriage Place: Lebanon, New London

On the positive side one the marraige seems to have taken pace in the town of his birth, Lebanon and it is the right year for a marriage of a man born in 1748.

On the negative side, if the transription is to be believed, his father name is listed as Thomas and not Jonathan.

I know mistakes in transcriptions are made, but this appears to not be my David.

Any informed ideas?

Stumped but grateful for guidance in Little Rock,

Neil

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ringring1a 1519585777000 
judyartley261... 1521678215000 
ringring1a 1521681031000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic