Search for content in message boards

Marriage and descendants of John, Jr. and Elizabeth Hempsted Plumb

Replies: 0

Marriage and descendants of John, Jr. and Elizabeth Hempsted Plumb

Posted: 1518555169000
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Plumb, Green, Hempsted, Morgan, Bolles, Ames, Bonney, Simon, Burch, Grimes, Rucker
328 years ago on this day, my 8th Great Grandparents, John, Jr. (1666-1732, son of John, Sr. and Elizabeth Green Plumb) and Elizabeth Hempsted (1672-1733, daughter of Joshua, Sr. and Elizabeth Larrabee Hempsted) Plumb were married at New London, New London, Connecticut. Their 11 children were born over the following 23 years.

Son Peter (Hannah Morgan) was born 26 Dec 1700; Grandson Green (Margaret Bolles) was born 29 Mar 1735; Great Grandson Samuel (Sally Ames) was born 3 Jul 1764; 2nd Great Grandson Chauncey (Sarah Zipporah Bonney) was born 16 Apr 1800; 3rd Great Grandson Daniel (Ida Simon) was born 23 Aug 1834; 4th Great Grandson Charles Udo (Georgia Burch) was born 25 Feb 1872 (I knew C. U. relatively well); 5th Great Grandson Leon (Anna Dorcas Grimes) was born 24 Apr 1896; 6th Great Grandson, Charles Wesley Plumb, Sr. (Wilda Jean Rucker) was born 21 Oct 1928.

John Plumb, Jr. died 28 Oct 1732 at age 67; his Brother in Law Joshua Hempsted records his death in his DIARY: "Brother Jno Plumb died with a violent Cold yt Seizd him Thursd...I was Called up at 3 Clock to go to Brother Plumbs & I found him a Dying. he died ten Minutes...a Clock. I Stayed after I help lay him out till after Sun rise..."

Elizabeth died the following year on 19 Sept at age 60. Her brother Joshua records her death in his DIARY: "I Set up Last Night with Sister Eliz Plumb. She was all night a Dying. She dyed this morn about 7 o the Clock; 60 year old Last Christmas Eve."

John and Elizabeth lie together at Ye Townes Antientest Burial Place in New London, under a gravestone inscribed by Joshua with a very simple inscription: "Here lies the Body of Mrs. Elizabeth Plumb; Here lies the Body of John Plumb, Esq."

I paid a brief visit to the Cemetery; in the 1898 picture by Edward Prentiss, John and Elizabeth's grave is behind #103; there is an arrow pointing to it's location (#111).
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic