Thursday, July 19, 1934.
Bishop M’Auliffe Assigns Pastors to Ten Churches.
Rev.E. J. Brennan Named Pastor of St. Mary’s in New London.
Ass’t Chancellors Also Appointed.
Rev. J. C. Brennan Goes to Permanent Rectorship in Middletown.
Appointments of ten pastors were announced this week by the Most Rev. Maurice F. McAuliffe, D. D., Bishop of the Diocese. The Rev. Edward J. Brennan, pastor of St. Margaret’s Church, Waterbury, for the past twenty-four years has been named to the rectorhip of St. Mary’s Church, New London. He will be succeeded in Waterbury by the Rev. William J. O’Shea, at present pastor of St. Michael’s Church, Waterville. The Rev. John C. Brennan, pastor of St. Paul’s Church, Kensington, since 1911, has been assigned to the permanent rectorship of St. John’s Church, in Middletown. The Rev. James V. Hussion, who has held the pastorate of St. John’s, Saybrook, is advanced to the rectorship of St. Joseph’s Church, New London. Other Pastoral assignments are the Rev. Michael F. Keating to St. Michael’s, Waterville; the Rev. Dr. Thomas L. Greylish to St. Paul’s, Kensington; the Rev. John J. Keane to St. to St. John’s, Saybrook; the Rev. J. Francis Finn to St. George’s, Guilford; the Rev. Austin B. Dignam to St. Patrick’s, Farmington, and the Rev. James J. Kane to the newly created St. Mary’s parish, Clinton.
The Most Reverend Bishop also announced the appointment of the Rev. William F. Kearney and the Rev. John J. Hayes as assistant chancellors. Father Hayes will also act as secretary to His Excellency.
Following are brief biographical sketches of the newly assigned pastors:
Rev. William J. O’Shea.
A native of Deep River, the Rev. William J. O’Shea received his grammar and high school training there, passing thence to Niagara University, Niagara Falls, New York, for his college course. He studied philosophy at Bastogne, Belgium, and theology at the American College, Louvain, Belgium. His ordination took place at St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Hartford, on May 9, 1908.
After serving as curate for a few months at St. Mary’s, East Hartford, he was assigned to the professorial staff at St. Thomas’ Seminary, Hartford, in September, 1908. Two years later he became assistant at St. Joseph’s Cathedral, Hartford. Among his other duties, he had charge of the parish school – a post for which he was admirably equipped and in which he proved himself highly proficient.
Upon entrance of the United States into the World War, he was one of the first priests of the diocese to volunteer his services to Bishop Nilan as a chaplain. From February 17, 1918 to August 5, 1919, he served as chaplain in the U. S. Army, spending most of that time with the American Expeditionary Forces in France. Upon returning home, he resumed his curacy at the cathedral.
On May 6, 1926, he was appointed pastor of St. Michael’s Church in Waterville. He was also placed in charge of the newly established Catholic High School for girls in Waterbury. Both his pastoral and his educational offices he has filled with rare distinction. His promotion to St. Margaret’s is a well deserved recognition of his exceptionally meritorious career.