Search for content in message boards

chumash indians

Replies: 1

Re: chumash indians

Posted: 1423846972000
Classification: Query
I may be able to help. If you are asking about how to receive federal funds, then there are some options, but first you would have to know for certain that you are descended from a California Indian. Not all living Cordero descendants are, by the way. Nonetheless, you would need to have your genealogy completed.

If you are Indian, then you MAY be eligible for federal funding. There are several ways to accomplish this.

You can become a member of a federally recognized tribe, which would be highly unlikely given that the only federally recognized Chumash tribe is the Santa Ynez band, which has essentially closed its rolls. The primary criteria for the Santa Ynez band is that one of you ancestors has to have appeared on the 1940 California Indian Census and had to have resided at the Santa Ynez Reservation at that time.

You can apply for a Certificate of Degree of Indian Bloood (CDIB) from the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The California Office is located in Riverside.

You can receive health care from the Indian Health Service if you qualify. Here are the criteria.

Others may have additional advice. Good luck.

Jonathan Cordero

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
626vince 1423762281000 
JFCordero 1423846972000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic