Search for content in message boards

Twenty Mile and Twenty-one Mile House

Replies: 1

Twenty Mile and Twenty-one Mile House

Posted: 1411409853000
Classification: Query
Would someone please look up some information in your Colusa county resource materials. I am trying to find details of the life of Daniel Tuttle who came to California in 1852. Here is an excerpt from a biography of his son Hiram:

"Daniel Tuttle, who is now a respected resident of Watsonville, California, emigrated to the West in 1852, coming across the plains by ox team to the Golden State, and enduring all the hardships incidental to that journey. He was accompanied by his family, and they settled temporarily at Shasta, California, whence they removed three months later to a permanent settlement at what is known as the Twenty-one Mile House, on the Sacramento river, where they remained five years."

I believe the Twenty-one Mile House was located in Colusa county based on a reference to a Tuttle who was said to have managed the Twenty Mile House in the 1891 History of Colusa by Rogers (page 81).

I have found in an online index for the 1878 Colusa County Annual that there is some type of description of the Twenty Mile House (page 60) and the Twenty-one Mile House (page 65) in it. I am curious if there is any mention to the Tuttle family therein. I am also very interested to know the locations of each house if you should know. I have been unable to find any geographic description of them online.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
northwestpion... 1411409853000 
judyartley261... 1414522083000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic