Search for content in message boards

Browns--Arkansas---Indians

Replies: 5

Browns--Arkansas---Indians

Ruth (View posts)
Posted: 1051886396000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown
Do you have any information on the Browns that lived in Little River County, AR??
My ggrandfather was John Wesley Brown m Martha Elizabeth (Holdridge--could be another spelling; or another name starting with letter H.--Indian Agent out of Okla City or Stillwell Reservation gave her this name upon marrying my ggrandfather. My grandmother, Olive (Olla) Mae Brown m Jim Sanders. My grandmother died when Mom was 3 yrs old in 1928. Martha & John had the following children as far as I can get information from my (one living--Mom's middle sister--all that is left of her family) and my Mom's first cousins. However, they don't know much about our ggrandparents either, except John Brown was suppose to be English and Choctaw and Martha was suppose to be Cherokee. Her bible burned in my cousin's house. Therefore, history was lost as well as ggrandmother & ggrandfather's Indian number. Unless, they had brothers and sisters that we have no knowledge of. I have posted on the message boards of different places, to no avail. I was told ggrandfather always called ggrandmother, Martha. (Not even sure the second name was Elizabeth.)

Children of Martha & John
William
Jimmy (buried in Horatio, AR)
John Wesley Brown JR (lived in Haworth, OK) (deceased)
Bertha Olivia --m--Thomas (Tom) Brown) (Bertha and Gerturde are twins. Called, Bertie and Gertie.) (Bertha died 1928 in Wagon Accident--leaving behind 4 living
children--two adopted out--Roxanne (Mary Lou--deceased) & Lorraine--(Patsy
Palmquest--living in McAllen, TX)(Has very little knowledge of real family)
Gerturde--Not sure who she married or what happened to her.
Olive Mae Brown (on marriage certificate--spelled 2 or 3 different
ways/Ollie/Olive/Olle/Olla) (my grandmother)
Delia--m--a Holmes (think they lived in Horatio, AR)--had one daughter, Sara
(divorced--married Sammy Shields) Sarah/Sara is deceased as well as Delia.
Grover Cleveland Brown m Maggie Crittenden. (9 children)
Not sure if there were any other children.

John Wesley Brown Jr --born in Bradley, AR --1905
Grover Cleveland Brown--born in Barry, LA in covered wagon--his grandchildren
told me he had no birth certificate. He was the youngest.

Wrong information has been posted (except for the marriage of J.W. Brown's to Aunt Gladys) on Ancestory.Com. I have been searching for over 10 years and my little sister--since before our Mother passed in 1990. Hope you can help me. You are deeply appreciated for any information you can provide. Please e-mail me at ruthie55bart@aol.com
ruthiebartling@hotmail.com
bartlingruthie@hotmail.com

Thank you.

Forgot to mention--that Martha (ggrandma) had a son by the name of Lee Sabine Currie/Curry before marrying ggrandpa Brown. Thanks!

Surely, there is brothers and sisters our there or people that know some information about this family. Where did Brown come from--LA, OK, TN, AR, TX, AL, or where? Has been said, that it is La--yet no proof.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ruth 1051886396000 
bj 1056568490000 
bartling, Ruthie 1056631821000 
BeverlyJoBerr... 1056665989000 
BeverlyJoBerr... 1056666352000 
cnkhose 1425308311000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic