Search for content in message boards

Halderman; White

Replies: 10

Re: Halderman; White

Barbara Prestridge (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2006 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Halderman, Walker, White
Finally a Halderman descendant! This side of the family has been very elusive and has many stone walls and secrets. In no way am I trying to discredit anyone. But in 20 years of researching I have found all kinds of interesting relationships and situations.

I have had all kinds of questions, NO one has been able to document Benjamin F Halderman, Jr. in Arizona in the early 1900’s. In March 06, a researcher found record of Marriage for Alberta and a B F Halderman, Jan 1903, married at Russelville, AZ. The woman I spoke with said she could not read/say if it was Jr. or Sr. I would need to look for myself to determine. I believe it is B.F., Jr. But do not have record in hand that documents it is indeed Jr. as of yet. This is the first documentation that shows BF, Jr. in Arizona.

Question: For over 100 years the Halderman children- Helen and Cecelia, (Arthur was killed in the late 20's or early 30's), their mother, aunt and her daughter visited the Russellville Cemetery. Helen and Cecelia’s cousin, the aunt’s daughter still goes yearly. If BF, Sr, was not the father why has the family spent 100 years and three generations visiting this cemetery paying respect to Helen and Cecelia’s “father”?

Question: where is Halderman Jr. buried? Is he buried in an unmarked grave at Russelville? There are some 60 or so graves without any markings other than small wooden crosses with the lot number to denote grave site. The older portion is partitioned off within the cemetery to denote its historical portion.

Question: the birth dates; when comparing a death date of 1913 to birthdates. Arthur was born in 1904, Helen in 05, and Cecelia abt 09. That would have made BF, Sr. in mid to late 50’s, which is not abnormal to have children. But, he, his wife Emma, and children are listed on various censuses in both Penn. and Az. Alberta was to have remarried after the death of her husband to Earnest White, abt 1913. Later she married Martin Walker, 1919, they remained married to each other until death. Alberta was in her 90's at the time of death.

(This too has been a question in the back of my mine. I have found that many miners, frontiersmen, and Indian fighters here in the southwest had more than one family- one back East or in their homeland and one here in the West. The area I live in many men were practicing polygamists- Arizona since the 1870-1880’s.)

For a period of time I thought perhaps Alberta had not married the father of her children. However, I am in possession of court records of her sister where Alberta testified in court. Alberta is listed as Mrs. Halderman. No distinction as to Jr. or Sr.

All family notes do not distinguish Jr. or Sr. Old mining claims record only list a B.F. Halderman; one has Jr. written in long hand on a typed form. This is questionable- a new form should have been written or new certificate showing transfer to from Sr. to Jr. upon Sr’s death.

Another problem is that there were several BF Haldermans' in Arizona at about the same time. Three are from Penn. And, several Benjamin’s live/living in Penn in the same time frame. Benjamin is a very popular name within the family. Each one has a Senior and Junior or Benjamin, II, named after an uncle. I have a child being born to BF Halderman and Henrietta Martin in 1919 (Arizona) . I believe this to be Ben Jr., please correct me if I am wrong. Later I found them in Liberty Chapel, Miss., 1920, farming with their son BF Halderman, Jr., (age 4, no distinction as to months or years) I am just now researching this family— If this is the same family; Jr. would be 4 months and born in Arizona. (birth record on line)

Alberta remained in the Cochise/Servos area her entire life time. For a short period of time she lived in Pima County where she and Martin owned a dairy. She and Martin remained ranchers until they were no longer physically able. They also owned a store in Cochise for a number of years, later daughter Helen ran it. Then, Helen left and lived in New York during the 1950’s. She returned when Martin’s health began to fail and later passed away, leaving Helen to sell out.

I have so many questions- again not trying to discredit anyone but trying to find answers and put this family together.

Thank you

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
alpine87 19 Oct 2005 4:39AM GMT 
Jan 19 Oct 2005 4:22PM GMT 
Barbara Prestridge 19 Oct 2005 4:59PM GMT 
Mary J 7 May 2006 12:53AM GMT 
Barbara Prestridge 13 Jun 2006 4:19AM GMT 
Mary J 13 Jun 2006 6:17AM GMT 
alpine87 11 Sep 2009 4:53AM GMT 
skaym7 17 Apr 2012 7:28PM GMT 
alpine87 18 Apr 2012 4:08AM GMT 
skaym7 10 Feb 2009 4:57PM GMT