Search for content in message boards

Mary Tacee Raven/frog Tlingit

Replies: 12

Re: Mary Tacee Raven/frog Tlingit

Posted: 1488844375000
Classification: Query
Yes, this is my great grandmother. The stories are a bit different from what I know about her. The slave bit was not mentioned in my line. She escaped her capture by Haida , after her aunt and aunt's baby escaped first, but then walked a long way to get back to her people. She supposedly was taken because she had "red" hair. The working for governor Douglas may or may not be true, although she did live in Victoria in 1861, and all her children except Amy were named after people in her husband's family who lived in PA. It might be that Amy was named after Amelia Douglas, the governors wife, who was herself half native from eastern Canada. Mary is said to have "worked" for them but I have not found records of this. The Douglas's took care of two of their grandchildren after their mother died, and Mary might have helped with the children. One branch of our family claims she was an interpreter, but no proof of that. She was literate, however, and had lovely handwriting as is seen in an autograph album owned by one of my cousins. Her children did NOT speak German, that was misinformation given to a newspaper writer by a non family member who thought her husband was of German descent, but his, (John P REED) 's ancestors were actually from Ulster in Ireland. They came to PA in 1811.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
salleyct 1488844375000 
alwaysleslie 1488801818000 
salleyct 1488845428000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic