Search for content in message boards

Sitka Birth certificates c 1869,1870?

Replies: 3

Sitka Birth certificates c 1869,1870?

Posted: 5 Mar 2010 6:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'CONNELL, CONNELL
My great great grandparents, John W. and Ellen O'CONNELL (or CONNELL) were stationed in Sitka, at least from 1869, perhaps as early as 1867, through the end of 1870. He was in the US Army. While there, two of their children were born:

Mary C. O'Connell, born April 3, 1869 in Sitka
and
Thomas J. O'Connell, born August 15, 1870 in Sitka

I'm hoping that the children's birth certificates might contain more information about the parents, specifically Ellen's maiden name and the birth location of either John or Ellen. Any other information would be great, too.

Would I be able to get copies of the children's birth certificates through the Alaska Bureau of Vital Statistics? There web site wasn't clear about that. If not, is there another agency or department through which I might be able to get copies? For example, because he was in the military, are there military hospital records from that time in Sitka's history?

Would there be any other documentation on them in Sitka? I know that the US Census didn't begin in AK until 1880 but were there any local censuses taken? Anything that might help me?

Thank you,
Carol Hokana

P.S. Family lore has it that the above Mary C. O'Connell was the first non-native (caucasian) baby born in Sitka, AK.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hokafanti 5 Mar 2010 1:46PM GMT 
kenkranhold 15 May 2011 4:45PM GMT 
shelljuno 16 May 2011 11:48PM GMT 
Wooshkataan 17 May 2011 7:28PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic