Search for content in message boards

Martha Malinda RHODES

Replies: 15

Martha Malinda RHODES

Posted: 12 Sep 2007 9:09PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Rhodes, Waller, Williams
Freda,
Was reading thru your post and noticed the Rhodes connection, and have a correction for you concerning Martha Malinda Rhodes. The Martha Malinda who married William Waller was the daughter of Calvin/Allen and Allie Jane Williams Rhodes. To this day I have never determined whether his first name was Allen or Calvin, but have tried desperately to tie him to those other Rhodes in Butler, most specifically Benjamin, since they both had daughters named Martha Malinda, but have never had any luck, since he deserted the family or died before the 1860 census. This Martha Malinda was born in 1844 in Butler. I have a 60 page memoir written by Martha Malinda's daughter, Allie Jane Capers Jett in 1961 and 1967 and will paste a small bit below. She lists Martha's husband as Walker, but it was Waller.

"""Mother was reared in Butler County, Alabama, near Greenville. Her father was a red headed Irishman, and it was said that he deserted his wife, my grandmother (Allie Jane Rhodes, nee Williams) , and his five children, of which my mother, Martha Malinda was the eldest, and they had a bad time of it, trying to make a living. Munroe, the next oldest, and the one boy who served in the Confederate Army at 14 years of age, wanted to come to Texas to live after the war ended, but would not come and leave his folk. Mother had married a man named Walker, who died, leaving her with one child, a boy, named Willie, so she said, “Brother, if you want to go to Texas, I’m all torn up and will go with you”, so they got ready and went
to Mobile, came by boat to Lynchburg, near San Jacinto Battle Grounds, and then by ox wagon to stay awhile with one Allison Smith, grandma's first cousin living near Oak Shade, in Liberty County, Texas, then going later to San Jacinto County. Those who came from Alabama-were: Grandma (Allie Jane Rhodes), my mother, Martha Malinda Walker, nee Rhodes, Munroe Rhodes, Mary Ellen Rhodes, who later married Jack Kelly, Sarah Rhodes, who later married D. W. Jackson, and Dorcas Rhodes, who married a man named Dickens.""""

It has been a while since I have worked on this, but I never determined which William Waller this was, but I think I remember there was an old William Waller, about 70 years old and I believe this was the one. Their son William, Jr. (Willie) made the trip to Texas, but he must have died young, because he is not in the 1880 census. Apparently, William Waller had some land left in Butler, because in the memoir, it says later on an agent in Alabama sold the land and sent Martha Malinda $125, the most money they had ever seen.

Roger M. Pace
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rogrem 13 Sep 2007 3:09AM GMT 
FredaRNoble 13 Sep 2007 10:52PM GMT 
rhodesm1 7 Nov 2007 8:35AM GMT 
48brownml 21 Nov 2009 3:50AM GMT 
louisedsmith 18 Oct 2007 11:27PM GMT 
rogrem 19 Oct 2007 2:45AM GMT 
VinitaLShaw 2 Apr 2008 7:50PM GMT 
TexasFamilyHi... 25 May 2012 11:30PM GMT 
LaNereWilliam... 19 Jun 2008 9:22PM GMT 
kshuller 9 Dec 2010 3:52AM GMT