Search for content in message boards

Amos Lord

Replies: 10

Re: Amos Lord

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 10:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks all

I will have to go back to my living source to see if any of this triggers a response, the discrepancies do cause some issues, so I tabulated all the offerings so far. Attocat it looks like that Amos might be dead then by 1930 based on the find you have kindly offered up there! How readily available are death certificates or information relating to those on the USA? I asue these will be State organised things rather than a national register! This apart I can only assume that the 1910 census offered by karenkrich must be a typo or some other kind of error on the original by the enumerators, if this is the same man represented in 1900, 1910, 1920, & 1930. The average year of birth – hardly a scientific approach with 3 dates to work on so wildly different - is 1870, 4 years later than the birth certificate I have, and I suppose fairly close in the scheme of things.

One issue with this so far is there are two distinct groups of lords in living on the fringes of Manchester in the Pennie foothills around them mine to the southeast in North Derbyshire and another the other to the north in the Littlebourgh or Rosendale area. They may have been linked at some point as my lot have been tracked back around 3 generation past Amos via his grandfather ‘Amos’ to the Stockport area which is to the south of Manchester. The perpetual reuse of Christian names sort of indicates it too I was first lead astray and bought the death certificate of an Amos Lord who died 1892 in the Todmorden area, a town/village that perpetually keep flipping between Lancashire and Yorkshire and is not far from Littlbourgh, he was 25yers old which gives a birth date of around 1867.

The ancestry site and the UK GRO list offers a total of 5 Amos Lord’s with years of birth of 1855 to early for ours, 2 in 1867, and the next 2 1903, 04 which is far to late for the one I am looking for and the finds offered to date. If we excel the ‘Hayfiled 1867 birth for now, as that’s is in fact ours. The second registered in that year in Haslington Lancashire, must be the Amos who died in 1892. The only factor now which holds me back from thinking the Massachusetts Amos is mine, is the reference o Born as sea, if there is any substance to this then the father could be anyone from earth of the 2 UK clusters around Manchester. It would also mean there should at least be a reference to Amos in the USA around 1890!

The wife of the Amos I am seeking remarried in 1896 which is why I was originally drawn to the Amos who died in 1892,but the informant’s relationship dose tie this Amos to the Haslington Amos very firmly. I can not tell if she simply waited around 7 years to get a divorce on the grounds of desertion or even declare him dead or if Amos divorced Jane due to it may be being easier in the USA, but if our Massachusetts Amos is the right one there must have been a divorce, or Jane’s second marriage was bigamous. Is there a central register of divorces in US state archives?

Lots of loose ends… Like I said Amos’s Grandson is still with so I will try and pop over the Pennies and see him in the near future and see if any of your offerings trigger further memories he is a sharp healthy who would was born after the Massachusetts Amos died, so if any knowledge of his life in the USA has filtered across the pond and down the immediate generation we might get hold of an extra fragment which might help now we have something to go on. So many thanks for everyone’s efforts to date.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TimHallam63 6 Feb 2012 7:40AM GMT 
karenkrich 6 Feb 2012 10:00PM GMT 
bethrau1 6 Feb 2012 10:35PM GMT 
TimHallam63 6 Feb 2012 10:46PM GMT 
eGENEee 7 Feb 2012 9:06PM GMT 
RickAngell 21 Feb 2012 12:48AM GMT 
TimHallam63 22 Feb 2012 8:08AM GMT 
attocat 21 Feb 2012 6:16PM GMT 
attocat 21 Feb 2012 10:15PM GMT 
TimHallam63 27 Feb 2012 5:36AM GMT 
per page