Search for content in message boards

William Floyd Sherman and Isabel Cota

Replies: 7

Re: William Floyd Sherman and Isabel Cota

Posted: 1482370014000
Classification: Query
Hi, does this sound like the right couple?

Presbyterian Church, Sherbrooke
Floyde Sherman bachelor, son of Alvin Sherman and Emma Boyle, his wife and
Isabel Cote, spinster, daughter of John Cote and Jane N. Martin, his wife, both of the Province of Quebec and both over the full age of twenty one years, were united by me in the holy bonds of matrimony on the 5th day of October, in the year of our Lord 1937. The ceremony taking place at St Andrew's Manse, Sherbrooke, PQ

and the following baptisms all children of Floyde Sherman and Isabell Cote
UNITED CHURCH, SCOTSTOWN
Jane Elizabeth born Scotstown, April 20, 1932 bapt. Aug. 29, 1942

Shirley Ruth born Scotstown, July 9, 1934 bapt. Aug. 29, 1942

Michael Boyle born Scotstown, Nov. 3, 1935 bapt. Aug. 29 1942

there is a death for Alvin Louis Sherman of Scotstown, died Feb. 16, 1942 aged 83 years, buried Riverview Cemetery

ST-CAMILLE, COOKSHIRE
Feb. 14, 1888 marriage of Elvin Louis Sherman of St. Paul de Scotstown, son of George Sherman, hotelier and Harriet Bennet of Scotstown on the first part and Emma Boyle daughter of deceased William Boyle and of Maria Fallon of the township of Newport on the other part. In the presence of Ernest Sherman, brother of the spouse and Georgie Boyle Aunt of the spouse.

ST-MICHEL, SHERBROOKE
Feb. 17, 1867 bapt. of Sarah Emma, born the 26th of Sept. previous of legitimate marriage of William Boyle and Maria Fallen. sponsors Jacob Laroche and Mary McAfferty

ST-CAMILLE, COOKSHIRE
July 16, 1884 burial in the cemetery of St. Camille de Cookshire the body of William Boyle, died the previous day, age of 55 years, spouse of Maria Fallon of St. Camille de Cookshire. Present Edward Boyle , Areade Croteau

same place
Jan. 4, 1904 burial of Maria Fallon spouse of the deceased William Boyle, she died the previous day, at the age of 71 years old.

ST-MICHEL, SHERBROOKE
Feb. 19, 1860 marriage of William Boyle son of Denis Boyle and Suzanne McAfferty and Maria Fallen daughter of Owen Fallen and Saly Gray. In the presence of Elie Laroche and Owen Fallen, brother of the spouse and Barnard Murray.

I haven't been able to find all the birth/bapt. marriage, deaths for these folks but
the 1861 census for Compton, Canada East (Quebec) has
BOYLE
Dennis 58 born Ireland
Susan 58 born Ireland
Katharine 21 born Lower Canada
Elinor 18 born Lower Canada

1851 NEWPORT, SHERBROOKE, CANADA EAST
BOYLE
Dennis 48 born Ireland
Susan 47 born Ireland
William 25 born Ireland
Edouard age 18 born Canada
Catherine age 12 born Canada
Ellenor age 10 born Canada

funny they are shown as Roman Catholic when so many of the records have been Presbyterian/United

I haven't found Dennis or Susan in 1871 census so either they had died or I just haven't found them and Wm. born Ireland explains why I did not find his bapt., nor the marriage of the parents.

this next record is very faint and hard to read so will do my best
ST-CAMILLE, COOKSHIRE
April 1, 1868 burial of Susan McCafferty spouse of Denis Boyle, died the previous day at the age of 57 years. Present James Doyon and Charles Stams.

I am not absolutely sure of the date but definitely 1868
and Denis who is indexed as Davis

ST-CAMILLE, COOKSHIRE
Sept. 15, 1887 burial of Denis Boyle spouse of Suzanne McCafferty,d ied the 13th current at age of 81 years. Present James Sweeney and Bartheleme Bedar.

1881 EATON, COMPTON, QUEBEC
BOYLE
Dennis age 77 born Ireland, farmer, widowed

he is with the family of Bartholomew Bedore age 35, and his wife Ellen age 37
I'm thinking maybe Ellen is daughter Elenor

and now found him in 1871 indexed as Donnes
NEWPORT, COMPTON, QUEBEC
BOYLE
Dennis 63, born Ireland, widowed
he is with family of Edwin Heath 39 and wife Katherine 30 so this fits for his daughter Catherine

Catherine Boyle married Edwin Heath in St-Camille, Cookshire in 1868 - their marraige is on same page as death of her mother Susan, again very hard to read, I can't make out much - date looks like April and year 1868

Catherine's bapt. is April 11, 1843 St-Michel, Sherbrooke born May 8th (this is pretty clear to read but no year of birth shown but as May is after April I assume she was born the previous year) I see the bapt. after hers has April 11 bapt. birth Nov. 6 so same idea

Ellen Boyle married Bartholemi Bedard Nov. 23, 1868 St-Camille, Cookshire
his parents Elie Bedard and Marguerite Durocher, her parents Denis Boyle and Susan McCafferty. Witnesses Roger McCazfferty and .................?

Edward Boyle married Emy Maria Reney December 27, 1856 St-thomas-d'Aquin, Compton, in the presence of Elie Laroche and Suzane McAffrey
his parents Denis Boyle and Suzane McAffrey hers John Reney and Anna Magnan

Helen Boyle was bapt. Sept. 28 1843 St-Michel, Sherbrooke, born July 1, last (it says), parents Denis Boyle and Susan McCaffrey

also bapt. of Daniel Boyle March 22, 1836 St-Michel, Sherbrooke, born June 11, parents Denis Boyle and Susanne McCafferty, sponsors Charles McCafferty and Anne Roman

same place
March 28, 1839 burial of Daniel Boyle died dennis
24th, son of Denis Boyle and Susannah McCafferty.

same place
Denis Boyle bapt. June 2, 1838 born April 17, parents Denis Boyle and Susannah McCafferty. Sponsors Denis Ford and Fanny Hammond

I'm wondering if this Denis was Edward from census above, as no Denis with them.

ST-CAMILLE, COOKSHIRE
Aug. 6, 1913 burial of Catherine Mabel Doyle spouse of Edwin Heath, died at age of 71 years.

ST-CAMILLE, COOKSHIRE
May 13, 1929 burial of Ellen Boyle, widow of Betholomew Bedard, she died the 10th, age of 85 years. present Dennis E. Bedard and Herbert Bedard, sons.

NOTRE-DAME-DU-ST-ROSAIRE, SAWYERVILLE, SHERBROOKE
July 9, 1899 burial of Bartholemi Bedard spouse of Ellen Boyle, died
the previous day at age of 55 years. Present Jacob Laroche, Ludger Allard, Charles Brouillette and a large number of friends.

CHURCH OF ENGLAND, SAWYERVILLE
Amy Boyle, widow of the late Edward Boyle died 16th day of March 1930, buried the 18th.

same place
Edward Boyle died Aug. 5, 1911 aged 77 years, buried Aug. 7th.

so now to the COTE family of Isabel
her marriage showed parents as John Cote and Jane N. Martin so this looks likely

1921 SOUTH WINSLOW, STERNOWAY VILLAGE, COMPTON, QUEBEC
COTA
Jennie 50 - widow - born Quebec parents born Scotland
Dannie 13 son (likely Donnie - see 1911)
Johnnie 12 son
Margaret 10 daughter
Isabella 10 daughter
children all born Quebec father born USA mother born Quebec

1911 WINSLOW, COMPTON, QUEBEC
COTA
Jean Baptiste 45 painter born June 1866
Jenne 36 wife born May 1875 born Quebec
Allem N. 11 daughter (Ellen I think) born Nov. 1899
Ruth M. 6 daughter born Aug. 1905
Donald 5 son born April 1906
John 3 son born June 1908 born Quebec
Isabell 1 daughter born April 1910 - twin born ON
Margaret 1 daughter born April 1910 - twin born ON
I didn't put birthplaces for some because it is odd the way they are written
twins definitely look like it says ON but Ellen and Ruth hard to read, either Que for Quebec or ?? Donald's looks different again but might be Que. but why write out Quebec for some and shorten it for others
and Jean Baptiste is also hard to read - index has Quebec for all but the twins where it says Qc. On

I have not found Jean Baptiste in earlier census yet, nor his death
this looks like Jennie
1891 WINSLOW, COMPTON, QUEBEC
MARTIN
Donald 60 farmer born Scotland
Anne 51 wife born Scotland
George 21 son born Quebec
Anabella 20 daughter born Quebec
Jane 18 daughter born Quebec

I guess this shows where the son Donald's name came from

1901 WINSLOW, COMPTON, QUEBEC
MARTIN
Donald 72, born Aug. 20, 1829 Scotland immigrated 1831
Ann 62, born Unknown, 1839 Scotland immigrated 1876
Bella C. 27 daughter born Unknown 1874 Quebec
ABRAMS
Percy 10 adopted born Dec. 22, 1891 England immigrated 1897

a Percy Abrahams arrived March 1897 from Liverpool to Halifax with lots of other children from England - looks like it says Mrs. Boots

so looks like Ann may have been a 2nd wife since she arrived 2 years after Bella was born

1921 is last available Canada census so I went to voter's lists and
1935 Compton has
COTA
Mme Jennie
Mlle Margaret
Mlle Isabel
Donald

1949 Compton Mrs. Jennie Cota seems to be living alone

Isabel seems to be in later voters lists as Mrs. Floyd Sherman

I looked for Percy Abrams/Abrahams and there is a tree with him listed and it shows he (Percival)was put in the Mrs. Birts Sheltering Home along with some siblings
sadly it goes on to say Percy joined up WW1 and died 1918 age 27

I'm stuck on this Cota family but if I find anything more I'll post for you.
Carolyn
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer Crof... 1482260331000 
CLaPorte7468 1482370014000 
Jennifer Crof... 1482517297000 
CLaPorte7468 1482534464000 
CLaPorte7468 1482806862000 
Jennifer Crof... 1500400123000 
TSharman35 1512232496000 
Jennifer Crof... 1512232771000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic