Search for content in message boards

McLAUGHLIN of Ireland, Megantic, Quebec (New Ireland), (Maple Grove)

Replies: 4

McLAUGHLIN of Ireland, Megantic, Quebec (New Ireland), (Maple Grove)

Posted: 1420292734000
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLlaughlin, McLoughlin, Loughlin, Hall, Shields, Loughery, Hart, Wilson
While researching McLAUGHLIN families in Quebec, I found a Land Petition Request by James McLAUGHLIN.
Notes I took:
Land Petitions of Lower Canada
Township of Ireland, Megantic Co., Quebec
James McLAUGHLIN - a Blacksmith who had been living in the City of Quebec for 3 years.
He was in the employment of Mr. John GOUDIE of Saint-Roc’s, a ship builder.
[I believe that should be Saint-Roch’s. And makes sense for a ship builder to need a blacksmith.]
James McLAUGHLIN requested land for himself and his family members who were still in Ireland.
William McLAUGHLIN, Father
James McLAUGHLIN, Uncle
William McLAUGHLIN - (Relationship?), on another page, says “William arrived in Quebec”.
James McLAUGHLIN, name is crossed out - (Relationship?).
Miles McLAUGHLIN, Cousin, name is crossed out.
Alexander McLAUGHLIN, Cousin, name crossed out.
Brothers-in-law: Edward HART, Peter SHIELDS, John LOUGHARAY, all 3 names crossed out.
Was granted land in Township of Ireland:
Lots Nos 16, 17, 19, 20 & 21 in the 4th Range
Lots Nos 15, 17, 18 ,19 & 20 in the 5th Range
10 Lots containing each about two hundred acres.
Surveyor General’s Office, 5th October 1820.

QUESTION: Did any of the above men actually take up residence in the township of Ireland?

1831 Census Ireland, Megantic, Quebec:
Michael McLACHLAN, 2nd Range Lot 7
James WILSON, 4th Range Lot 16 - (one of the lots given to James McLAUGHLIN)
Unless I missed it, I don’t see anyone (except James WILSON) living on the lots given to James McLAUGHLIN

Also found:
Quebec Non-Catholic Parish Registers
Methodist Church of Canada
Shipton Township
McLAUGHLIN & HALL MARRIED
On the 27th of June in the year of our Lord 1822 were married by contract Michael McLOUGHLIN of the Township of Ireland, District of Quebec and Electra HALL of the same place both of whom are of age, in the presence of Ira HALL and Chester B. CLEAVELAND [sic] of the aforesaid Township of Ireland Province of Lower Canada.
By me, Henry Pope, Minister
The above Marriage was Solemnized between us, Mich. McLOUGHLIN & Electa HALL
In presence of us, Ira HALL & Chester B. CLEVELAND

Michael McLAUGHLIN named his first son Michael Ira McLAUGHLIN, who later took to calling himself - Ira McLOUGHLIN / LOUGHLIN. - A guess, “Michael Ira” is named after “Ira HALL”.

I haven’t checked the 1825 Census for Ireland, Quebec.
If I’m correct, there are no censuses for Township of Ireland for 1841 nor 1851.

QUESTION: Could Michael McLAUGHLIN of 1831 Census BE RELATED to James McLAUGHLIN?

QUESTION: What happened to James McLAUGHLIN? Was he married? Did he have children?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
QuebecDuncan 1420292734000 
QuebecDuncan 1422193677000 
PReace 1442706609000 
QuebecDuncan 1442762452000 
QuebecDuncan 1442762615000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic