Search for content in message boards

JOHNSTON - update

Replies: 1

JOHNSTON - update

Cliff. Johnston (View posts)
Posted: 1024284381000
Classification: Query
Surnames: JOHNSTON
We've recently found that our ggggrandfather Robert Johnston whom we now fondly refer to as "Auld" Robert is buried in the Ebenezer Cemetary on Gore Road just outside Brampton (known earlier as Buffy's Corners when he died in 1849).

Some information on his family is as follows:

Looking for connections with the following Johnston family originally from the Annandale Johnston/es of Scotland.

"Auld" Robert Johnston (b. 1767, d. 1 December, 1849) left Scotland sometime in the late 1700's - probably 1790's. He is said to have married an Irish woman (possibly 2), Hannah Shields being one. They started a family in Co. Tyrone, Ireland. All of the children were born in Ireland.

Children are thought to have been:

James, b. ca. 1798, d. 23 April, 1870
Margaret, b. ca. 1800
Alexander, b. ca. 1804, d. 1855
John, b. ca. 1806
Robert "Red Robin", b. ca. 1808, d. ca. 1895
David, b. ca. 1814, d. 1896
Archibald "Archie", b. ca. 1815 or '16, d. 4 January, 1902

Francis "Frank", b. ca. 1805, may have been a cousin/uncle.

Ca. 1832-3 some of the family emigrated to Canada. Others followed over the next year or two. Robert "Red Robin", Archibald "Archie", and Francis "Frank" settled in N. Plantagenet Twp., Prescott Co., Ontario, Canada, near the town of Pendleton and bought farms close to each other (Red Robin and Archie had adjoining farms and Frank was about 1 mile away). I have called them affectionately the "Wee Three" as they were the first 3 Johnstons that I knew about from Ireland being related - in addition Red Robin, my gggrandfather is said to have been 6'-5" tall. I would guess that Archie and Frank were above average in height too. Frank bought his farm from a George Johnson (Johnston?) in 1832. George had been on the tax rolls with that piece of property since 1822. I have no other information on George, and the name George does not show up in at least the first 3 generations of the children of the Wee Three, that I know of. So, there may be no relationship there.

Ca. 1905 a sailor from Ireland called on my ggrandfather, James Johnston, about an estate that had been left in Ireland. The estate consisted of an inn and related property. A relative, a publican, had died and had no living heirs in Ireland. The sailor had been hired by a lawyer to track down an heir in Prescott Co.. I do not know the outcome of this contact.

In the 1920's I believe that sisters Edna & Beuleh Johnston went to Ireland to see if they could find some Johnston relatives. All were dead. They did visit the cemetary where they were buried and made extensive notes in a journal. Over time the journal with its information was lost. We do not know where the sisters visited in Ireland.

Being an Annandale Johnston, Robert would have been a Presbyterian. He did not follow up on that in Canada. In Ireland I have no idea of his religious affiliation although I have heard one oral history that gave Presbyterian. In Canada most were Orange Lodge members and had various religious affiliations due to the fact that a Presbyterian church was not always close by - all remained with protestant affiliations, mostly Methodist, some Baptist. I do not know about Orange Lodge membership in Ireland.

We are particularly interested in finding out when "Auld" Robert arrived in the Brampton area and which of his family were with him. We don't seem to be able to find a trace of his wife who may have predeceased him either in the Brampton area or elsewhere. Does anyone know if "Auld" Robert and any other family members lived in Prescott Co.? We know that his son James farmed in Ashfield Twp., Huron Co., as he shows up on the 1861 census there, but he is not there in 1851. Red Robin and Archie were in N. Plantagenet Twp., Prescott Co., in 1861. Frank had died in early 1851.

My ggrandfather, James Johnston, moved his family to what is now Johnston Road in Clarence Twp., Russell Co., back ca. 1910, joining several other Johnstons in that area. His son, my grandfather, Clifford A. Johnston bought a farm across the road. It is now owned by Byron Johnston, the son of Clifford's brother, Alva.

If you think that you may have a connection with any of the above and/or information on their origins in Ireland and/or Scotland and/or later life in Prescott, Russell and Peel Counties, please contact me either direct or via this bulletin board.

Cliff. Johnston
Granbury, TX
drybones@granbury.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cliff. Johnston 1024284381000 
Cliff43Johnst... 1509623725000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic