Search for content in message boards

SIMMONS, Henry;1765-1809;NV>Ont. CAN>Prince Edward Co>Ameliasburgh

Replies: 5

Re: SIMMONS, Henry;1765-1809;NV>Ont. CAN>Prince Edward Co>Ameliasburgh

Posted: 1259519547000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1529956859000
The Simmons children are confusing but I use as my source the book by Peter Hennessy, "The Hennessy's of the Bay of Quinte": Peter Hennessy wrote: Let me respond briefly to your questions to Judy re the two Henry Simmonses. The evidence in my Simmons file is absolutely persuasive that Lt Henry Simmons of Ernestown Twp was a nephew of Pte Henry Simmons of Sidney Twp. The latter was a child of John Ulrich Simon and wife Maria Barbara, German immigrants to America. Pte Henry's brother Johannes and his wife Maria Barbara Hentgen were the parents of Lt Henry Simmons of Ernestown. Both Lt. Henry and his uncle Henry were members of Jessup's Loyal Rangers. Lt Henry fared much better than his uncle in land grants because of his commission. Two persons who have very good documentation of above claims are Sharon L. Peters Wisniewski.at 392 Iris Ct., Stirling Heights MI 48310 wisniews@tacom.army.mil and Peter Johnson 259 Chine Dr., Scarborough ON M1M 2L6 . I believe by the evidence available to me the Nicolas Simmons was the son of Lt Henry of Ernestown. I hope this is helpful, Peter H. Hennessy, author The Hennessys of the Bay of Quinte.

One of the Henry's married Susannah Margarethe Treber. Several sources list 11 children but it is unknown which children are Pvt. Henry's and which are Lt. Henry's. The children are Nicolas, Wilhelm, Peter, Anna Maria, Elizabeth, Anne and Christeen (twins), David, Moses, Daniel, and Abraham. If according to Lt. Henry's journal he never returned in 1777, then it seems that Pvt. Henry must be the survivor listed in subsequent documents.
Henry is found in the 1803 census for Murray living next to his son Abraham. Henry and Susannah's children were recorded in Lutheran Records in Duchess Co NY (Moses, Christeen, Nicholas, Anne, Daniel and Abraham). June Parrott Atwood found much of this in Russ Waller's "UE Loyalist Links. If Private Henry was one of the younger children of Johan Simon, as the older sons were born about 1711-1723. Pvt. Henry's nephew, Lt. could be the son of one of the older sons. That could explain why Pvt Henry had a nephew about his age. Since the older children were born in the 1750's, it's possible that they were already out of the house and either did not migrate or went ahead of their father and younger siblings. That could be why Peter Hennessy did not take note of them when he picked up their trail in Ontario. It's possible that the six children listed in the Lutheran Records are the six YOUNGEST not the six oldest children. Nicolas could have been an older son and that is why he is not listed in the records. It's possible that some U.S. immigrants came into Canada and lied about who they fought for Henry Simmons had served under Capt. Harkman in the Batteau service on the St. Lawrence River during the war.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Judy Lehman 1058929075000 
nancy_drew197... 1258214837000 
Judy Lehman 1259519547000 
nancy_drew197... 1259522112000 
johnsonue 1260154882000 
Judy Lehman 1260165181000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic