St Stephen's Anglican Cemetery, Halton County , ONhttp://geneofun.on.ca/cems//ONHTN11320
Street Address: Steeles Ave & 9th Line
Township: Trafalgar Township (Concession 9, Lot 15)
Locality: Halton County
Registered to St. Stephen's Anglican Church.
Ye Olde Bone Yards of Halton, Peel ,York & Simcoehttp://lostcemeteries.blogspot.com/2011/07/st-stephens-angli...
St. Stephen's Anglican Church Cemetery is located on the south side of Steeles Ave, between Eighth and Ninth Lines in Hornby. The building of the church began in 1836 on land that was donated by John Corwin on the north west corner of his farm. The church was built on an angle to the property line so that the congregation, in Anglican tradition, faced the east when they worshiped at the alter. This would explain the plot pattern in the original cemetery that was laid out in 1847, it is in line with the church building, while the newer cemetery has a north south orientation.
Burial plots originally cost 1 pound 5 shillings, in 1855 the cost increased to 2 pounds and then in 1860 to $10.00. This money was used to maintain the cemetery and build the manse.
St. Stephen's is still an active congregation, the cemetery still receives burials and is managed by a cemetery board.
CULTURAL HERITAGE ASSESSMENT REPORThttp://webaps.halton.ca/files/ninth-line-corridor-study/Nint...
Page 25 ...
The Anglican Church, now St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, dates back to 1836
when the parcel containing the project area was donated by the owner of Lot 15,
John Corwin from what was then the northwest corner of his lot (Ye Old Bones of
Halton Peel York and Simcoe 2012). Two of John Corwin’s sons still owned
portions of the original lot in 1877 as depicted on the Historical Atlas of Halton
County (Map 2.) The original main frame of the church was constructed in 1837
but the building has undergone several renovations and additions since then. The
church was oriented at an angle to Steeles Avenue so that the congregation could
This alignment is echoed by the original portion of the cemetery located
immediately south of the church. The newer parts of the cemetery are oriented to
line up with the edges of the lot. The cemetery has been continuously in use since
1830’s and is still an active cemetery (Ye Old Bones of Halton Peel York and
Simcoe 2012). Among the interred are Bishop John Strachan of the family