Search for content in message boards

Mackinnon/mcfadyen

Replies: 3

Re: Mackinnon/mcfadyen

Posted: 1515972429000
Classification: Query
The first challenge you have with these names is that the family name McKinnon also appears as 'MacKinnon', and for the McFadyen you find 'MacFadyen' {not commonly} but in many records also as 'McFadden'. I had not encountered the surname 'McFadyen' before seeing your inquiry although it is (or was a 100 years ago) common in the Port Hastings, Inverness Co. area. My guess is that 'McFadyen' is pronounced the same as 'McFadden' because that is how you will find many/most of the historical records.
James A. McKinnon was born about 1860/61 (the 1901 census gives Sept. 10, 1861) in Greece's Point/Grenville, Quebec, in the Chatham district, in extreme southern Quebec on the Ottawa River and at the Ontario border. He seems to have been the oldest of about 7 children of Archibald and C. Sarah McKinnon. Archibald was born in Scotland but died young, in the early 1870's. James' siblings were Annie, Mary, Elizabeth, Alexander, Norman and Archie. These names will become familiar because they reappear frequently in James A. and Annie S. McKinnon's children. I don't know when James moved to Nova Scotia but he was no longer in Quebec by the 1891 census and was clearly in Inverness County by 1900 because that is when he married. James was professionally a locomotive engineer (described in records as "engine driver") , initially presumably for the Intercolonial Railroad and then for the CNR, although in later years he became a farmer.
Annie Sophia McFadyen was originally Sophia Ann and born Sept. 22, 1874; her parents were Hector McFadyen and Christina Laidlaw, who had been married March 2, 1862 in Port Hastings; her birth record has her under the surname "Fadden". Annie was the second youngest of 7 children (at least those who survived infancy), with her siblings being Allan J, George L., Alexander J., Maggie M., Neil D., and Annie's younger brother Roderick A. {"Rory"}. Annie's father Hector was born Feb. 1, 1825 and died Feb. 7, 1909.
James A. McKinnon and Annie S. McFadyen were married Dec. 13, 1900 and had 9 children that I have seen records for, using the 1911 and 1921 censuses as starting points. All but two children have a birth certificate but about half were not issued just after birth but later, when the children were older adults, as "Delayed Registration of Birth", when the person needed to prove their age; these Delayed Registrations are not always totally accurate.
James and Annie's first born was Christine Margaret, b. Oct. 19, 1902; next was Elizabeth (no birth certificate that I can find; Sept. 1904 given in 1911 census); next was Alexander Archibald, b. July 24, 1906; next was James Calvin, b. June 10, 1908 {d. Dec. 26, 1962}; next George Roderick, b. May 7, 1910; next Norman McLeod, b. March 1, 1912; next Ian Hector, b. April 24, 1913; next Laidlaw (b.about 1914/15, no record I can find) and lastly Howard Kimball, b. May 14, 1916 {Howard was living in Quebec in 1956}. I am somewhat surprised that I have not been able to find any marriage records (in Nova Scotia at least) for any of the children.
In terms of your Grandmother (who may very well be still living) you will have to fill in the remaining details. I assume she was taken in by James and Annie after the 1921 census and so the records that are publicly available are more limited. In Nova Scotia birth records are public only until 1916, and marriages until 1941.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kyle reynolds 1515032183000 
KathleenLouis... 1515190239000 
David Spencer 1515972429000 
David Spencer 1515987252000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic