Search for content in message boards

Looking for relatives of WWII Flight Sergeant Wallace Reginald MacDonald from Port Hood

Replies: 1

Looking for relatives of WWII Flight Sergeant Wallace Reginald MacDonald from Port Hood

Posted: 1490131715000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1490263306000
Surnames: MacDonald
Dear All,

My name is Rene Bosma and I life in the North of the Netherlands. For serval years I research crashes of Allied bombers in the North of the Netherlands during WWII. Through this research I try to make story’s about the whole event and about the young brave crewmembers who came from all over the world.

At the moment I hope someone can help me to find relatives or some who can help with information about Wallace Reginald MacDonald. Wallace was a RCAF Flight Sergeant and Navigator on the Avro Lancaster bomber (no. ED589) of RAF no. 9 squadron who make a crash near the little Dutch town named Hielsum. The bomber crashed on the 13th of May 1943 on the way to bomb the Czech city of Pilsen. The bomber was hit by a German night fighter named Lothar Linke. It was so badly damaged that the tail broke of the plane and the rest of the bomber crashed in a farmland. All the fuel and the bomb-load exploded immediately. Sadly the whole crew lost his live and only two of the 7 man could identified. The other five are still mission in action. The two identified members are buried at the local cemetery of Hielsum .

I found some little information about Wallace. I only could find that he was born on the 17th of April 1917 at Port Hood, Nova Scotia. His parents were Donald Cameron MacDonald (1872-1948) & Mary Jane Mackay (1877-????) and they were living at Port Hood, Nova Scotia (Can). Wallace had serval siblings: Alexander MacDonald (1903-????), H. Jane Frances MacDonald (1904-????), John McKay MacDonald (1906-????), Angus James MacDonald (190-????), Colin Allan MacDonald (1909-????), Cameron Gregory MacDonald (1912-????), Stewart Leo MacDonald (1914-1979).

I will make a nice remembering story about Wallace and his other crewmembers. This because I feel it like my duty to give this man the honor that they deserve and that never maid be forgotten what this brave you man did so we over here in the Netherlands can still live in freedom.

I hope someone could help me with maybe a address of a relative or maybe some other interesting information about Wallace.

I want to thank you all in advance.

Kind regards, René Bosma - Oosterwolde The Netherland
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rene bosma 1490131715000 
highridgemini 1492461651000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic