Search for content in message boards

James Ogilvie (Immigrant, Peter Ogilvie, James Oglesby

Replies: 0

James Ogilvie (Immigrant, Peter Ogilvie, James Oglesby

Posted: 1508164035000
Classification: Query
I ran across your research on the above family. I have been researching my 3rd Great Grandfather James Oglesby, (born around 1780 and died in 1846 Emanuel County, GA.) for some time and had a very difficult time proving who his parents were. For some reason he left no record of where he came from and who his parents were. Another family member speculated that he came from Craven County, North Carolina in the early 1800’s. I have found no evidence of that! My 3rd Great Grandfather James married a woman named Rachel in early 1800. James received several land grants in Emanuel County and that is where they raised their family and I have many family members still in Emanuel County today. That is where I was born grew up. I now live In Gainesville, Georgia.

I think that my James Oglesby (1780) may be that youngest child of James Ogilvie or possibly his grandchild. I have no definite age on my James Oglesby, but from all of his census records, his estimated year of birth is 1780. That would have made him about 10 years old when James Ogilvie died in 1790 and about 14 years of age when Dill Sapp petitioned the court to sell the 200 acres on Boggy Gut Creek, in St George Parish. Another clue that I found is that my James Oglesby bought 100 acre tract of land from Mark Lot in Bullock County, Georgia on November 27, 1802. I researched Mark Lott and found that he was the son of John Lott, born in St George Parish of Burke County, Georgia.

Another clue that I found is that Peter Ogilvie, a loyalist during the Revolutionary War, the oldest son of James Ogilvie received several land grants in St George Parish near his father James Ogilvie before leaving Georgia. I found those grants through the Georgia Archives & have a copy of those grants. One of those grants shows that Peter Ogilvie’s land bordered Dill Sapp. Considering the outcome of the Revolutionary War and the fact that Peter and his brother John had to leave Georgia due to their service to the King, I think that it is possible this child that was left and taken in by Dill Sapp might have been the child of Peter Ogilvie. Peter was around the age of 30 when he left Georgia and I did find a petition with the court in which he tried to claim his land in Georgia. This claim was denied. I think that there is a strong possibility that the child belonged to Peter instead of his father James Ogilvie. James Ogilvie would have been around the age of 55 when my James Oglesby was born. I believe Peter left Georgia for Florida in 1782 and then boarded a refugee ship to Novia Scotia with his brother John in 1783. I did some research on Peter and ran across an ancestry tree that listed a James Ogilvie as a son, but the birthdate was 1789.

Also, I recently did a DNA test through Ancestry and there are several descendants from Peter and John Ogilvie who are DNA matches to me. The test says that they are 5th to 8th cousins.

I sent this same message to James Baxter Ogilvie but it was returned with incorrect email address. Please let me know what you think and let me know and let me know if you have any more information on this family.

Gennie Oglesby

Find a board about a specific topic